Dendro Owners

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Triplemom, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Here's an overview of at least the common corals from family Dendrophylliidae.
    Pagoda, Sun, Cup Corals and More, Family Dendrophylliidae Gray 1847

This is my understanding of the family.

Genus Balanophyllia is non-photosynthetic (and illegal to import AFAIK, it only grows in locations where export is not permitted).
    Genus Duncanopsammia is partially photosynthetic (less than some other corals but can generally get by in most systems I think without spot feeding, it can pick up enough from the water column etc).
    Genus Dendrophyllia, most species if not all (I'm not sure we're capable of distinguishing species while the coral is alive, I could be wrong though) are non-photosynthetic.
    Genus Tubastrea is non-photosynthetic.
    Genus Turbinaria is photosynthetic.

Also the uncommon genuses (although Heteropsammia just started making it's way into the big time, even LiveAquaria is carrying specimens), are non-photosynthetic Genus Eguchipsammia and Heteropsammia.

4. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

Nice finds both of you!

5. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Well, originally I thought I had over fed my dendro, and that's why it wasn't opening. (It closed up the last time I fed it some chopped up silversides, in the end of SEPTEMBER!!!)

I've been trying to think of things I did different, and one of them was I replaced the phytoplankton w/ rotifers at about that time. I still don't have any phytoplankton, or oyster's eggs, went to 3 LFS on saturday and no one had them. However, I diluted some Rod's food and used that. It DID pop out!!! The little heads on it have come out off and on, and I was thinking along the same lines as you. Well, Friday night I squirted diluted Rod's food on it for a while, then again Saturday am. It was out more that it has been in months. SWEET! It also closed up again about an hour later. So now I need to get some more phytoplankton and try that.

A couple weeks ago my husband was trying to convice me to throw it away. Sooooo glad we didn't! I'll keep you posted some time in the next week. Hopefully I'll have the same results!

Thanks ReefnJunkie - I read your post and that is what inspired me to try again.

6. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

Just as an update, I'm back to regular feedings (every other day at the most) and its been open every day about 85% of the time again.

Look what happens when you feed it-LOL

[​IMG]

Seems it may have been me all along.

Glad you its working for you!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

13+ headed colony at my LFS. $69. I NEED money so bad right now!

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

mines been closed up all day with a big feeding last night... hope i didnt feed it too much

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

That price for a 13+ head colony! How about I give you the money and you send them to me.

11. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Well I've decided it's time for an update! My Dendro has been growing great! All of a sudden there is about 6 - 8 new heads popping up, finally! Woo-hoo!!

This shot doesn't really show the full coral, but it does show how happy it is.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I'm glad we still have "dendro activity" going on. My ever-frustrating dendro has decided to finally have a baby! I've had this thing for probably a year now, or close to it. I've tried shade, sun, low flow, medium flow, cave placement. I finally just said forget it and put it low on a low rock in front under a monti cap. It had been coming out beautifully at night, of course. I finally just decided to keep feeding it and not worry about it. I started feeding it during the day even when it was partly out and sometimes at night when it was fully out - usually squirting it with a bit of Rod's or mysis in a syringe. Well, lo and behold, it finally started growing a new head on the right side! Yay!

[​IMG]