Dendro Owners

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Triplemom, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my dKH is 13 and stable. my dendro is generally open

2. Click Here!

3. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

I just browsed through the 'tank of the month' from reefkeeping.com to see what params those folks tanks are. Average KH was 8-9.

It just seems that as reef keepers we have a sense when something is not right, or IMO I think I do, and it just seems odd that for MONTHS mine was open 80%+ of the time, and over the last month its in lock down.

I'll just wait-tick tock tick tock

4. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

I'm w/ you on that one. My kh is 8-9. One of my LFS recommends keeping it at 10-12 though.

5. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I keep mine at 8.4-9.8dkh or 3-3.5 meq/L. My aussie dendro fully opens night when the lights turn off. I'll take pictures and post them soon.. I love to feed it (every other day, Hikari brine/mysis).

When I first got my dendro, it wouldn't open.. I would broadcast feed oyster eggs, marinesnow, and spiralina/brine and it would respond.. Soon enough it opened up 100% (took about 2 weeks).. When I feed my fish in the day, it wants to open up, but doesn't 100%. Maybe like 50% open. I'll give it more time. I wish it stayed open 24/7, but thats ok.. I've only had it a little over a month give or take..

My reef is an SPS dominated reef. About 6 SPS frags and 8 small colonies and a handful of LPS corals. They are all doing great and grow fast!!

I love my dendro!!!

6. chuckdee

Here's the pic I promised..

RAW image taken with a tripod mounted Canon 40D and 100mm Macro.

My Aussie Dendro
    [​IMG]

F/11, 1/6th sec, -1 exposure, ISO 1000

Imma try again in a couple days.. I need to move a coral and lower the ISO and I'll get a better quality and composed shot.. There is actually two more dendro heads missing in the picture.. They are behind that main one..

Enjoy!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. chuckdee

That picture is shot at night with two LED flashlights aimed from the top down and the other at an angle from the top down..

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Ill be a dendro owner this weekend!!!! cant wait to be a part of the cool people club ;)

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I have had the Dendro in the foreground for a few weeks now. It's open all day every day and eats whenever I feed it. The three in the background are not always open and don't accept feedings. They did the first week I got them a couple of months ago. I thought they would be goners by now, but they seem to be doing OK, I just don't know what they are eating. Pods possibly?

They seem to be different types. The larger one has tissue that grows over the skeleton, like a Frogspawn. The smaller ones retract all the way into their skeleton.

[​IMG]

My Duncan has four new heads growing on it. In the last picture it is directly in front of a K1 to show it's size. It gets to over 2" in diameter. It's also a much brighter green in the center than in the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Great pics barbi and chuck.

12. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Well I picked up this sweeeet dendro head from a friend reefer down the street from me.
    $30 for this huge head :)

[​IMG]