DEMO Skimmer SALE!!

Discussion in 'Warner Marine' started by Jon Warner, Mar 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

Got my skimmer. I have it running in a freshwater/vinegar mixture since my 180G isn't up and ready to go yet.

First Impressions:

It's built like a tank. Really thick and quality parts.

The pump is extremely powerful and very quiet. No restart issues what so ever.

You can really tweek this thing. Very fine tunable.

I love it.

I was considering this skimmer and a reef octopus SRO-3000 int and am glad I went with the MF201. My lfs had a SRO-3000 int in stock and I thought it was a nice skimmer, but the quality of the MF201 surpasses the SRO IMO.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Mine has been up and running for about a week now! Getting crazy skimmate production! (about double my sro 3000int) Thanks for the great deal!!

4. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

great to hear it you guys...

5. reefkeeper125

reefkeeper125 Plankton

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Ok, so now I'm ready to fine tune this badboy... any resources on how to adjust it? The air screws are confusing me...

7. Bailey151

Bailey151 Plankton

That's tough, each tank is so different. In general terms you adjust (close) the water gate until you get the desired type of skimmate (wet or dry). Personally I start with the water fully open & work my way closed until I see what I want. I generally wait 24 - 48 hours between adjustments. Each adjustment is approx 1 - 2 full turns (depends on how far away I think I might be). I marked the knob with a black marker so I can tell when it's a turn.

Air adjustment is a bit different. Closing/opening the air adjustment changes the air/water ratio for the pump. The less air the more water the pump moves - this also makes the bubbles smaller to a certain degree. The more air the less water the pump moves - also makes the bubbles bigger. I also did the same with the air valve, I marked it so I can tell.

Myself & others have had good success with reduced air, about .75 turns open (I've seen .25 on RC). Jon has said he always runs them full open..... You'll need to experiment for yourself.

In general I adjust the air last. I find the water level that works best & then fine tune it with the air valve. I close it down until I get the smallest bubble & it still gives the skimmate I like (wet)

Also - water depth has a big impact on skimming, the deeper it is the higher the water level will be even with the water gate fully open (water & it's own level ya know)

My apologies if any of this was simplistic, just figure more info is better - even if half of it gets skimmed out ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

Most people have best luck leaving them wide open. Having said that... some may find a slight adjustment, possibly a 5-10% obstruction can sometimes improve performance depending on water depth, etc. But restricting a large percentage of the airflow is not good for performance.

10. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

Skimmers still available!!

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Still have any of those HPBs? And if so, what feed pump wouldyou recommend?

12. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

One final MF201 available, $350 shipped with a jar of ecoBAK.

Still have MF121 and MF161 available...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.