Deep Six Hydrometer

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, May 20, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah it says 68-80 optimum. Since I haven't turned my heater on I wonder how off I am...

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Funny Matt, my esha, and most locals, will tell you our water runs around 1.022, as well as the Sea of Cortez. We soley use NSW and it's always 1.022, except once it has sat in our shop for more than 2 days, then it's 1.024.

Gresham

Ps. I vote for my Esha hydrometer, easy to use, can take water from ANY place and is way more accurate then the typical floatinf type hydrometer. It's also way easeir to get the air bubbles off the float, as the unit is sealed, so you can tap it without losing any water. I know marinedepot.com has them as well as Aquatic Ecosystems in Florida.

4. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Green, 1, 75%]Very interesting, Gresham. Do you think the rise in SG is due to evaporation, or temperature change? [smiley=confused1.gif][/glow]

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey G -

Not sure what to say. It's water from Pt. Reyes. Not sand filtered or anything like Catalina water.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Catalina Norcal(the main supplier of NSW is northern CA, not the same as Catalina water outa LA) is filterred, your right. But that doens't due anything to the sg. My point is, the deep six is off. IT MAY BRAKE IN, SO GIVE IT TIME. A litttle scuz attached to the floater usally helps.

Wrassman - both temp and evap. Water comes in at below 50 degrees and takes a day or 2 to warm up. We blow hot air into the shop, across exsposed tanks, so there is a lot of evap.