Deep Sand Beds

Discussion in 'Sand' started by tim_s, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefling

Reefling Astrea Snail

hmmm i definately have the majority of those. I do however have a fighting conch and a few hermits. However i'd say my sand bed is more like 2.5" .....any problems associated with that range sand bed?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

IME the size of the DSB has to be very large compared to the system in order for it to be worth the inevitable crash and the need to constantly replenish the microfauna.;) Also the population of these creatures is very hard to control with some species dominating while others perish therefore keeping the proper balance of these critters can be difficult at best.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

With a remote DSB, such as a bucket or Tupperware tub, it can be taken offline and reworked, whereas an in-sump or in-DT DSB would require a lot more work to get it out of the system.

5. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Glad you posted this. I'm planning a refugium and was just researching this very topic! Following along....

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 Absolutely!

Also, recent studies have shown that the same modest level of denitrification does indeed occur in SSBs and LR, so the DSB is mostly a high-risk investment with zero benefits over other, more efficient means of reducing nitrates, hence my earlier post pertaining to chaeto. :)

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes absolutely.Denitrification is occuring in the biofilm even in aerobic conditions.;)

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

But denitrification is not the primary purpose of a DSB. It is a benefit, but as most has said, if that is all you want there are plenty of other ways to do it.

For me personally, I find the microfauna to be the primary purpose. Even in the ocean, it is not one ecosystem...it is made up of many zones. Sand and the sea floor being one of them. I want as many lower eco zones as possible... the larger animals depend on them. So in a reef, we are not growing coral, we are growing a eco system

For the coral to be happy it needs an abundance of food 24/7. Fish poop is one source with plenty of nutrition left over, but we skim that. Pods, and other micro fauna are available in the food chain as well. I just like the all around approach.

I had a DSB in my fuge and had no fear of it crashing. It needs to be tended well, and have plenty of circulation as with any living thing. And no, it does not have to be "deep". 3-4 inches of oolitic sand works well. I didn't have it as a denitrification process, I had it for the micro fauna.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

IMEHO, after much research, and reading posts I decided on only about 1 inch average of finely crushed coral. No DSB

Or course I have a lot of LR in the DT, and PS and a huge chaeto basket in a fairly large sump.

who ever said a sump and/or refugium needs a SB?

My DT has many ecosystems, and 'stuff in the substrate'

To each his own,

Mine works very well in my 125 Reef, with 10 fish, CUC, an urchin, a conch, and
    35 different species of coral!