Deep Sand Bed vs. Shallow Sand Bed

Discussion in 'Sand' started by CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe, May 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Well, if it's already there, just make it work well. One of the most common causes of failures of DSB's is lack of bioturbation. Get a sandstirrer package. In the day, Inland Aquatics and Indo-Pacific Sea Farms sold packages to keep that sand moving. I'm sure they probably still sell them. Nassarius and cerith snails get in there and move things around too.

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

my orange spot diamond goby does a great job of stirring the sand!

something else that I should mention that I've never seen anyone mention before is that I have algae growing under the sand... the light on my fuge radiates enough light to cause algae to grow underneath the sandbed... surely this is not a truly anoxic layer then?

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Actually it is only growing between the glass and the sand from ambient light or reflected light from your fuge. I have it too and it gets irritating at times but the ceriths do a pretty good job of gettin in there and cleanin up.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's likely to be a very small aerobic area, and an anaerobic layer as soon as 1/8" from it; the amount of oxygen a small amount of algae that's a film on the glass can produce is tiny.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I think deep sand beds are good for stability but very very bad if you disturb a part that hasn't been disturbed for a while. It happened to me I got huge waves of cyano and cessation of coral growth. Also I think It will cause problems many years in the future even without being disturbed.