deep sand bed help

Discussion in 'Sand' started by simonold1975, Dec 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. simonold1975

simonold1975 Plankton

I have been setting up my new reef tank for a while now,the live sand and live rock was added about 1 month ago but nothing seems to have happend,the heater has been constantly running so how do i know if the live sand is working if you know what i mean,has the bacteria died or can i add some bacteria to get thing going?Im new to this and confused what the best option is.:p

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

What are your parameters?

Ammonia -
    Nitrite -
    Nitrate -
    Alkalinity -
    Phosphate -
    Mag -

What size of tank do you have? What equipment are you using? (skimmer, reactors?, lighting, pumps) Any live rock? How long has the tank been up and running all together?

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Have you been adding a food source?

5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

how deep is the sand bed too>

6. simonold1975

simonold1975 Plankton

Tank has been running about 2 months ,it a 2 foot by 2 foot by 3 foot high,running a protein skimmer and the sand bed is 4 ich normal sand and 2 inch topped with live sand,about 50kg live rock,150w single metal halide lamp.
    Ive been adding some flake food for food source,thats about it

thanks

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

The only way you will know is by testing ammonia nitrite and nitrate.

8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

+1 you have to track the progress of your parameters. You will see a spike in ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Based on what you've said, thereis no questioyour sand is alive. Testing will tell you if thereis enough life to support your bioload. If sand is alive, which yours is, it can usually adapt to changes in bioload fairly quickly.

1 person likes this.
  11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

+1....Check your levels. You'll need a good test kit. Be certain you're ready to add life, and start thinking of what kind of clean up crew you want. Any trace of ammonia or nitrite is bad, nitrates are usually going to show in trace amounts. That's ok. Post your results here when after you test. It sounds like you're off to a good start though.

12. simonold1975

simonold1975 Plankton

test results

just tested and below are my results,are these good or do i have a problem?Also when i get to the correct readings what should i add first?dont want snails but any ideas would help thanks

ammonia 3 parts per million
    nitrite 1.5ppm
    nitrate 80ppm
    phospahte 3ppm
    calcium 540 ppm
    calcium hardness aprox 540ppm

double check my readings and these above are what i have read off the charts in the test kits.:-/