dedicated 50 gallon clown tank, need your wisdom

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Swisswiss, Nov 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hello all,

so I'm thinking of re-using my old 50gallon in my bedroom to host my new born clowns. with this project comes an array of questions…

aside the whole cycling phase and all the fun/frustration of setting up a new system i would need some help on the following points:

as mentioned the idea behind this tank is to keep some of the baby clowns I'm trying to raise, i was thinking of maybe throwing in a single carpet nem (iv always wanted a blue one) and with this comes the first few question…. is a single dual bulb T5 rail sufficient for the photosynthetic needs of the carpet? secondly if i put an anemone "home" for the clowns i fear a dominant pair will form and agrees/kill their other clown brothers, can someone confirm this?

how many clowns you folks think i could keep in dedicated 50 gallon clown tank?

seeing as the tank is my room i would rather avoid using a skimmer seeing as i love my sleep. is this feasible or is the skimmer a must in order to keep sufficient water quality?

there will be no corals in the tank (a promise i may not be able to keep)

thx in advance for the help and tips

-jeff-

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

In that size tank, a dual bulb T5 would not be enough lighting. As far as a dominant pair forming, yes that will most likely happen but if they all grow up together, then the rest will just be relegated to the side of the nem. They can all live peacefully together but I'm not sure on the total number.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

JMO add some LED's to the t5ho, a good DIY setup plus the T5HO's should be enough.
    Carpets get big, and are not easy to keep, possibly a few BTA's, LTA's, or Seabae anemones would be better, either one will work with proper care.
    For a clown harem I've seen it done, do VERY extensive research, do a dom. pair with no other females in the tank, make sure little ones have hiding spots away from more dominant clowns so they can escape.

5. Swisswiss

any links you could direct me to? im always down for a good read

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Go to the clownfish/anemone subforum on RC, tons of super experts playing wit carpets for years.

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I would steer away from the carpet for this idea. They need pretty high light, extremely stable water and more flow than the average anemone to thrive long term. I think a lot of this would run contradictory to what you will need to raise clowns.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

10. Swisswiss

Thx for help folks, guess ill stay away from the carpet (sob) my orange bta split a while back so i guess ill give it to the clowns as a house warming gift ^_^.

Keep the advice coming!
    Regards
    Jeff