Decorator Crab

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Hawaii777, Jan 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hawaii777

Hawaii777 Astrea Snail

I would like to know, will my decorator crab eat or keep algae under control in my aquarium?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Live Aquaria lists the decorator crab as a carnivore that requires meaty foods, so it's doubtful it will eat much algae, if any at all.

My experience with carnivorous and even omnivorous crustaceans is that if they're not kept well-fed, they become opportunistic predators, killing fish and other inverts for food.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No, I do not believe they will make much of a dent in any algae issues.

They will however make you a tad frustrated when they rip up your favorite zoanthids or sponges to decorate with.

I love them though one of my favorite inverts.

5. Hawaii777

Hawaii777 Astrea Snail

So, will this crab eat my fish?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No, he may wave an imposing claw at a passing fish, but he is not a real threat to healthy fish.

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I used to have a decorator crab, lived for about a year. Coralline is right. they steal tons of your corals to attach. Mine had gsp, zoas, palys, and tons of sponges on it, looked awesome. Didn't take care of algae but helped eat any uneaten food. These guys were nocturnal as well. Stayed hidden among rock work for most of the day and went on patrol at night.

8. Click Here!

9. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

i have a decorator crab and love it. i feed mine a large peice of krill every day. they definatly wont eat algea but they will put it on there back.