deciding on lights for 65 gallon.

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Blue Falcon, Sep 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Hey guys. You all have been a great help in planning my upgrade. I'm thinking about getting the Current USA nova extreme pro 36" 3 actinic and 3 daylight at 234 watts total of T5. The tank is a 65 gallon at 23 inches deep. I don't know exactly what types of corals I want, but I don't want to be limited to just softies. I don't really want metal halides because of the heat issue. But if you disagree than please convince me. So what do you think about these lights on my tank? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I have had a 6x54W Nova Extreme Pro for my 72G for about 9 months now. It's a great fixture. I wouldn't use the Current bulbs that come with it long-term though. The actinics that come with it are pretty dim. You can read my review on the Pro here:

Paul's Reef: Nova Extreme Pro Review

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Good unit. Agree above to change bulbs first chance you get. You would be amazed with the difference.

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

As far as bulbs go, I'm really happy with the following combination:

Front
    ATI Blue Plus
    Giesemann Aquablue+
    Korallen-zucht Fiji Purple
    Giesmann Midday
    UV Super Actinic
    ATI Blue Plus
    Back

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like it's a waste to have to upgrade right off the bat. Is that normal with most T5 fixtures or do some come with good lighting already in them.

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Most don't come with lights. The ones that come with lights, shouldn't. Either way, plan on buying bulbs with any new fixture.

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Haha. Thank you. That's good to know.

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

One other thing. There are so many type of bulbs for T5s it could make your head spin. You have a lot of choices and with 6 bulbs you can tweak the spectrum to what you want. There is no way for stock bulbs to match the spectrum you may be looking for.

11. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

T5's

Yeah, I got a Current T5 fixture with 4 bulbs over my 60g frag. I've got all kinds of Montis although I have them up closer to the light. You should be good to go with a 6 bulb!! Wish I woulduv.......:(

12. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

if it where me and bc its such a deep tank id def go MH, but then again im a MH type of dude haha