decent lighting. under $200. for mixed reef.

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by banthonyb71, Feb 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I'm not a fan of that store. They say "Free stuff w/ fixture" and all the stuff mentioned is suppose to come with it. As if you are getting a btter deal than anywhere else.

Metal halides will cost more to run but will offer better light than most systems. However, if you were to buy a 6 bulb t5ho w/ the proper bulbs you will be fine keeping sps with it.

2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I'm a newb too but I found a 4x39 watt T5 fixture online for $250 wich includes bublbs (SunPac, probably not the best). I can PM you the web address when I get home from work. I forget the brand of the fixture. I'm looking @ Tek fixtures...1 of 3Reef's sponssers has them for a good price (~300).

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums They offer them w/ bulbs as well and you get to pick the bulbs you want. That is the way I went and would recommend them to anyone.

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I understand where you're coming from on a budget. Don't let those who don't understand that get to you. Yes, it's an expensive hobby, but there's no need to over pay when you can get a deal... I picked up a used 6x54W T5 fixture for $230 locally... It can be done. I know a guy locally that is selling a used 4x54W fixture for $100. If I were you, I'd get the best T5 fixture I could afford, then upgrade with ATI bulbs as you can afford it.

FWIW, I went with a 32W regular output T12 light on my 120G tank for 8 months until I could afford a decent fixture. Of course, I couldn't keep corals, but now I have a badass T5 AND my tank is fully cycled, had time to get past cyano and algae blooms and ready for anything now...

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

First, what are the dimensions of your tank? For your situation, I would go with T5s. How your're gonna spend will be determined a lot by how long the tank is, the longer the tank, generally the more expensive the fixture. Look for a fixture with individual reflectors. ATI just came out with a very nice fixture that is more economically priced then their original fixture. Tek by Sunlight Supply also makes good fixtures. I would look for a good 4 bulb fixture. Ebay has some fixtures that are very cheap, I mean that both in terms of cost and quality. I would avoid those fixtures. Craigslist is a good site to look for good deals if you want to go used.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

you could just save up an extra $100 and get the 4x39 t5 ho tek from reefgeek, the one thats for $300 comes with the bulbs, and if you dont know what kind you want you can either ask 3reef of reefgeek will help you out, they did for me and i can keep anything, right now i have mixed reef of softies, lps, and sps and everything is thriving, but i also have strong flow as well

also anything more than a 4 bulb fixture wont fit on the 46 bow

this is the one that i have, i bought it back when they had it going for $400
    http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/36_inch__4x39W_Tek_Light_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply

8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Thanks PC...for further clarifying for me as well...one thing I plan to add though is a LED light strip at the bow portion of my canopy to get the shimmer effect and some dimmable moon lights (just something for you to think about).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

welcome :D yea i have a little LED fixture that kacy *as always* talked me into :lol: it does ok but the only issue is i cant center it over the tank because of the bow so the entire tank isint lit but it does an ok job

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Funny...
    I was thinking a strip on either side of the brace for both types (moonlight and other).

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

that would be cool, ive been thinking about getting another moonlight but their like $40 and i dont have the money, maybe once i get my credit card down :D