Decaying anemone?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Zero_Dude, May 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

:D always good to hear!

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep. That's great news. Congrats.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good. I'm glad you didn't flush it.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I am truly amazed! I guess my advice wasn't the best but it really did look like a goner to me....good thing you didn't listen to me. Congrats on your QT getting set up!

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Thanks, everyone! But right now it looks like it's knocking on death's door, same as yesterday. Last night more than half the tentacles were the way they should be, but now it doesn't look so good. It seems like the lights are making it heal, but since it's a new tank, my lights aren't up to 12 hours yet. I put it up an extra hour today, though, so hopefully that helps it (although that'll help the algae too..).

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  7. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Do be careful not to blast it with light. The metabolic waste products of photosynthesis have to be cleared. Good light is important, but not excessive. It will try to flush out "bad" water from inside it and thus do an inflation/deflation cycle. Even my healthy ones do this at times.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes I agree do not blast it with light. Time and good water quality will be of more assistance.

I have kept BTA's under PC lighting so I doubt you need to up the lighting time at this point.

10. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Here's what the anemone looks like after soaking up 7 hours of light! It still has damaged tissue, but you can't really see it in the picture. By the next morning, its tentacles end up becoming very shriveled again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

I would say it looks like its getting better.. did you put in qt tank? It does not look like it from previous pics... in my opinion I would be babying it in a seperate tank with low light & low flow... im just affraid if you lose it over night or something you could regret it do to what it could do to your tank.. they will inflate & deflate quite a bit when they are damaged sometimes just part way & sometimes all of it... I would be more worried if it wasnt inflating @ all...

12. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I still have it in the DT. I didn't want to put it into my QT for fearing of stressing it to the point of death. Plus, I don't have a smaller fixture for my QT, so it would have to live off regular room light bulbs :/ . I read that moving a splitting anemone is a no-no. But another sign of its healing is that its mouths are closed:).