Decaying anemone?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Zero_Dude, May 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

The biggest concern is that if it dies, it will foul your water rather quickly. It doesn't matter where it is in the system if this happens as all the water is connected. It will stress it out more to move it, especially if it's attached. I would either move it to a QT tank (with the entire rock it's on) or leave it be until you know if it's recovering or rotting.

2. Click Here!

3. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Do it.. qt tank would be better so you could give it water flow... you might try to see if it would take a rosey red or something live... I had 1 suck into my skilter 400 pipe but I caught it immediately so I was lucky...
    If you see it has life then you definetly qt so it dont contaminate your tank if something happens.. dont flush till your confident it is past the point of no return... sorry to hear of your problem... good luck!

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would QT it. You said your tank is only a month old? I think it may slowly die regardless due to the age of the tank.

5. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

That sucks, considering my LFS said it would be okay in my tank..

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It might, but it's certainly not the advice I would give if I were being 100% honest. Most people would concur that a tank needs to be well established (roughly a year) before an anemone is added. There are too many chnages going on in a new tank for an anemone to thrive, most of the time.

7. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

I agree! No reason LFS should tell you or be ok in a month or so old tank... my tank was 6 months when I added my first then 7 months on second... now mines 12-13 months old & I had the newest split... so as it can be done you have to make sure you keep a closer eye on everything... testing daily or every other day... do more water changes than adding chemicals is all I done.. I've subscribed so keep us updated...

8. Click Here!

9. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Thanks for all your help, guys! I'm going to get my QT set up and see how it fares in there. I'll add pictures if anything changes..

10. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

You could possibly try some cyclopeeze blown gently across it and see if it sticks. You definitely don't want a "chunk" of food, but really small food might be ok. It also depends how torn up it is. I've learned with coral if it's in bad shape, it does need some flow across it to help remove shed tissue.

11. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I don't have any of that :/ Also, its mouth has been open for at least a day

12. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Good news guys! It looks like it's going to do a full recovery :D Thanks for everyone's input, though! Because of you guys, I have my quarantine tank almost fully set up. I'll post pictures of the anemone tomorrow