Dealing with an emergency

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DangerDave, Jan 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Your corals are likely having an adverse reaction to all the Chemi-clean along with the Anemone. That stuff should be used with extreme caution.
    Yes baking the baking Soda is a good Idea as it turns the BS into sodium Bicarbonate. This will allow a more stable buffer.

J

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

Thanks for the info Jason, added some Karma.

What do you think about my plan with the lights?

Edit: That Chemi-clean states it will not harm your corals. They might not be harmed, but they defiantly did not like it.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Have you run full spectrum testing of the water you are adding?

5. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

No.

Edit: I forgot to add something. I would mix the water, then it would sit for a week, with a heater and power head moving the water.

I haven't added any water in 2 weeks, cept yesterday to lower the Ca. Edit: that was only around 7Gs though.

The tank has been up and running for about 9 months. Every Sunday I did a 10% water change no matter what. 1, 3g bucket cleaning the filter to the sump, 1 3g bucket cleaning the sand and 1 3g bucket just to get whatever else.

Never had a problem.

Put some small pieces of LR in the tank for Zoas to attach to, hello Cyno. The cyno and other algae started after I put that LR rubble in. After about 2 or 3 weeks is when I notcied the algae getting to the point I did not like. I read, and read, and read some more.

Came accross a turf srucbber post, answer to all my problems. Installed said turf scrubber. About a day or two later I noticed the cyno bacteria(from the LR rubble). I did the dose and you guy read the rest of the story form previous post.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Well you have a lot going on there, I would say first that that turf scrubber is going to be great but it is going to have to establish itself first. I would have added it and waited to take off the other filtration a little while but that is done you are going to be in for a ride once the scrubber catches up you will be good but that may take some time. The turf scrubber probably is not going to rid you of the Cyanobacteria problem too quickly either because it is not an algae but a bacteria that is consuming nutrients. The corals do not like any of the Cyano killer chems but they will live I used one a long while back and I haven't seen it since I would be more concerned about the algae choking them out . I would watch the feeding what are you feeding anyway Frozen or some dry stuff like Formula 2 ? I think it is going to be a while untill you are satisfied and the waiting is the hardest part.

7. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

Cyno is gone, has been for over a week.

Just have the algae, coral shriveling up thing going on now. Like you said, I'm worried about the corals getting choking out.

The algae thing wasn't a problem, knowing that the scrubber, in time, would put it in it place.

But it is putting myself and the corals in our place.

I still have all my old filtration.

I know time/waiting is key here, just don't want the corals going along with the algae.

Edit: I'm currently in the bath tub, will get the name of the food once I'm out, lol.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would at least test the water you are adding. Even if you don't plan on doing water changes, you're still going to need to be topping off. And the level of nutrients changes all the time with tap, so that could also explain why you didn't have a problem before. There could very well be a slight problem with it, feeding the algae. Algae consumes said nutrients, then the testing of the tank doesnt turn out much. Pay particular interest to phosphates, nitrates, and silica's.

10. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

I say it is the tap water,

My tap tested fine with the API kit it only had like 5 ppm Nitrates. I had algae everywhere.

I have done 2 water changes with RO/DI and everything has gone away.

11. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

Forgot to mention that I also currently use the Phos bags you put in the sump. I also have about 10 bio balls in the sump that were used with my wet/dry. They sit right by the screen, the water current from the scrubber constantly spins the bio balls.

As for checking the tap water. I really will not need to after this scrubber catches up. Everyone claims for it to be that good. I should of been testing the tap water before the scrubber. I totally agree with you, and I would, but this scrubber will just absorb/take out/eat/feed on, anything that will cause algae growth.

12. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

Um. I really don't know how to say this with out sounding like an ahole, but... I need this to be clear. Please do not take this the wrong way.

Most everyone is going the wrong way. I really need everyone to understand I'm not concerned with what caused it, nor am I concerned about what water I use(ed). It is irrelevant, it will not matter in about 2 weeks once the scrubber catches up.

Once the turf scrubber is fully ready, it will entirely consume what caused it. Hence the reason I went this route. The stuff everyone is asking, and the way everyone is going was where I was at over a month ago.

What I need(ed) to know:

I need to know if you guys think this is a good plan or not.

Right now, what I'm looking for is to slow down the algae growth, in tank, to the point where it is not overtaking my corals.
    My plan is to leave the tank lights off for awhile(maybe a day or two or three), while at the same time keeping the algae turf scrubber fully running.

Needed to know if BS was good idea or not to raise my Alk.
    Now I know what to do about that. As Jason states, baking baking soda will turn it into sodium Bicarbonate. This will allow a more stable buffer. Thanks Jason.

My Ca is 560, I need to lower it with out changing too many parameters. How can I do this, water change, leave it be, or will the baking soda help lower at the same raising my Alk?

Now with all this going on, I would like to know if my corals should/can/will make it through this?