Dead naso

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Bucsfan, Jun 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. Sorry for your loss, it sometimes feels silly to mourn a fish but I was saddened by the loss of my clown for about a year...Fish have personalities and we care for them so it's only natural to be sad.

Alfie uk likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Sympathies pal, I lost a 4 year old Foxface the weekend for absolutely no reason

4. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Thanks. As Corailline said, you feel kinda silly mourning for a dang fish, but you still do.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I don't feel silly mourning a fish or any other animal. The degree in which I care about something is not based on my estimation of its intelligence.;)
    Sorry for your loss.:(

DSC reef, mdbostwick and Alfie uk like this.
  6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

It seems in this hobby, it would be the same as if your dog or cat died. I dedicate much more of my time and effort toward my fish/coral than my dogs. So why would I not mourn my fish.

Vinnyboombatz and Zgetman like this.
  7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Not sure about the dog comparison, but it still sucks none the less. I lost a Yellow Tang I had for about a year. I woke up to find her laying on the sand bed gasping for air. It was horrible. I like your profile pic Bucsfan, if my Golden all of a sudden died, I'd have to be committed!

8. Click Here!

9. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

This might be a long shot, but I have had a few fish die suddenly over the past month and half. I finally couldn't chalk it up to just bad luck and I took the last one to my LFS where they do fish autopsies (there's another name for it, but cant think of it). The examination revealed that the last fish that died was affected with a parasite called Spironucleus, Hexamita (Hexamite sp.).

Some fish will show signes, while others may not. The last two I had simply started swimming funny around 9am, and then where dead by 6pm. Prior to the first sign, they appeared to be healthy and eating.

The LFS prescribed Metronidazole. Since antibiotic is not necessarily reef safe, and I had no way of pulling the other 10 fish or so out of the tank, They had me administer it by soaking their food in a paste made up of 1tsp /10mil of RODI for at least 30 minutes. Then straining the mixture before spot feeding each fish (as best I could). This had to be done twice daily for 3 days.

So far, no more deaths, but it only been a few weeks, so I can't say it worked or didn't work yet. Either way - it might be something worth investigating

10. Vinnyboombatz

It's called a necropsy.;)

OnlyTono likes this.
  11. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

LOL -that's the one... :^)

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  12. Vinnyboombatz