[Dead horse] PC vs T5

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by bigdookie, Aug 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

I have a PC setup in my 46Gal bow. I bought a T5 for $60. The T5 is 2x39 from coralife. Is this a better setup than my PC 2x55? Or should I just sell the PC and t5 2x39 and get a 4x39 system?

I was looking to get a setup that does more advanced coral and anenome. MH is out of the question, not in my budget!

And if I did go the 4x39 T5 route, is there anything wrong with this.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The T5 will be better if it has a contoured reflector. A 4x39W fixture will be best for your desires. Go no lower than a Coralife Extreme Pro in quality. Buy top of the line bulbs. You can get the top of the line bulbs about 3 months after you get the Coralife unit. Tek Elite and ATI would be best.

The unit you linked has a flat reflector and is not good for reefs. FW planted maybe.

4. reefpets

reefpets 3reef Sponsor

A 4 bulb T5 would be the way to go. But, the one that you listed is an Odyssea light which are not the best quality to say the least....
    You can probably find a used but better quality fixture for the same price and as 2in10 stated, you want to buy top of the line bulbs, it makes all the difference in the world!

5. yellowtang90

yellowtang90 Plankton

man from one man to another make the invesment u want regret it

6. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

What are the brand names to look for?

Anyone have a link to a FAIRLY priced good unit? I'll try to find some on CL/Ebay/3Reef, if not.. buy new...

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Oddysea's problems are well behind them,the problem was with the mh's not the t5 or pc's,they are decent fixtures for there low cost,but I agree,change the bulbs out to name brand quality ones as there bulbs have a funny hugh(glow) to them.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Coralife extreme pro, tek, ATI, aquaticlife are good for your needs. Definitely go used or CL for name brand units mentioned.

10. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

Is oddeysea the one i posted the link to? So i can use that, and just replace the bulbs?

11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Yes it is,and I'm NOT saying they are the highest quality,but i've owned 3 of there units and was very happy with there preformance,but now on the other hand,all i keep is softies and lps,no sps or clams.

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

There isn't anything wrong with them, I use their T5's on all three of my tanks and have for the last three years without a single complaint and I keep SPS, LPS, Softies and a really nice clam.

In fact I just ordered another u bulb unit for for my Frag tank. I wouldn't spend the money on a name brand unit again if you paid me, all you getting for the money is the freaking name anymore!

I would sell both and go for a 4 bulb unit which will put out more light which means you can keep more different corals. As far as the bulbs go if they are new I would use them for about 6 or 8 months then replace them. They work fine for at least that long but then start dimming shortly after then.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010