Urgent Dead fish leave or remove??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by colcol79, May 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

Ok, cancel my previous post... good job on taking it back (if that's what really happened?)... if not it sounds like you at least learned from this, and are willing to learn more... also a good thing. I recomened using google or other search tools to do research yourself, and find out what is most sutable for your tank... they are all different and depending on what your going to be keeping some things aren't compatable...

Long lesson short... do the research before you buy, and you and your tank will benifit from it...

2. Click Here!

3. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Thanks blaz3dup,
    my original post was asking what to do with a dead fish,
    the tang didn't look good and when I hadn't seen it for a day I assumed it had died in the rockwork!

When I removed it this morning it didn't look great to be honest and I'm not sure it will survive even being put in a large tank at my lfs!!

Like you say "big!" lesson learned!!!

It's a hard hobby when you really dint understand fully,
    I love these animals and feel really crap that my ignorance has prob cost this beautiful little fish to die!

Trust me I will reasearch more when buying in future!!

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post!

Colin

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Totally inflammatory, bu to say that a blue tang isn't stressed out in a 30 gallon tank after being in the tank for more than a year is ignoring the most likely cause of the tang not doing well.

I would get the tang to a better home (which you're doing), and make sure to research the sizes that the fish will get to from now on. I realize it was among your first fish purchases, probably because of Nemo, but research is key. No tang is really suited to a 30 gallon tank at any size because of the speed they can grow.

You seem to have a good attitude about going forward, though, and I applaud you for that. Lots of people wouldn't even consider the possibility that the tank size could stress the fish.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I have to add as well..... that's one of the few positive responses I have read in awhile when confronted with a stocking issue. Colin... you will go far.

6. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

Casually reading through the tropical fish and show off your tank forums here on 3reef are a great way to get an idea of what would be suitable for your tank. Also just googling a fish that sounds interesting to you, then reading through a few search results about their requirements to see if it would be happy and healthy in your specific tanks environment.

Also IME Never trust a LFS's word, do your own research. I have been to many local fish stores and its rare that they are out for your best interests before their own. Again this is just my experiance.

Goodluck buddy and glad you have learned from your experiance.

7. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

+1, 30 gal. pretty tight quarters for a hippo

8. Click Here!

9. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I can only agree.... a lot of people keep fish in a smaller tank ... mostly due to lfs just wanting to sell them and make money. But we all have to educate ourselves about the needs of the fish we keep.

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

About your Turbo snails your hermits probably killed them for the shells. Make sure you have enough empty shells for your hermits. Also like others said go to reefcleaners.org fill out the form on the site and John will tell you exactly what you need. There are many types of snails each has there own purpose in your CUC.