Urgent Dead fish leave or remove??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by colcol79, May 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I agree...Although 30G is not suitable at all for a blue tang, i would have to say that there are many factors. I had a regal tang die on me on a 150G tank for no apparent reason..

i would also try to expand your CUC.. i think ive seen john say 1 snail per gallon? or something like that.

if you are planning to buy a replacement fish for your tank i would suggest to not get any type of tang, or this might happen again. There are many type of fish that would do good on your tank. :D

and to answer your question, I would definitely try to remove the fish from the tank because it might cause an ammonia spike.
    good luck.

2. Click Here!

3. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

I have about 60 snails in my 29 gal tank, and I still look for more.

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well.. im guessing that makes the point of getting a bigger CUC more obvious doesnt it lol;D

5. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

The tang has been in the tank for over 18 months.

So how much cuc should I have in tank??
    And what??

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well there is a difference between surviving and thriving::)

i would do as a minimum of 1 snail per gallon. but as you could see fish-a-holic
    has about 60 on his 29..

i would go to reefcleaners and ask john to make you a custom order.. he will tell you whats best for you. ( pretty good site)

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Did it get to 6+ inches in that time? Because I'm pretty sure I've heard of blue tangs growing 4+ inches in a single year when they're in a truly suitable environment. 2+4=6, and at 6 inches, there's no way a tang is going to be comfortable in a 30 gallon. If it didn't grow, it was stagnated because you cramped it, and likely died from that stress.

8. Click Here!

9. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Hi just a quick update,
    I awoke this morning to find the tang alive and I quickly removed and took to lfs.
    I have only been keeping marine fish for under a year, the tang was my first fish( and I guess a first mistake!!)

Could someone please give me an idea of what suitable fish would be for my size of tank??

I have 2 common clowns.

Also you have said about adding snails to my cuc, I had many turbo snails, but the hermit crabs ate them all!!!!

Please advise this foolish novice on what to do!!!

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's a bit of an assumption. You can not be sure of your three statements above. While you may be right, the tone of your response is a bit inflammatory.

11. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

If I were you, I'd try to take it out. Otherwise go with KCs advice and get some more snails. Keep a close eye on your params. You don't want to cause another ammonia spike which will def. affect the other livestock you have in the tank.
    Good luck to you!

12. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

NAILED IT!!! Regals get over 8", yes over eight inches!!!