DC Pump Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zgetman, Jul 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Great stuff everyone!!!:)
    Low cost items help keep prices lower so its not a bad thing. ;)
    I had an Iwaki that lasted 12 years.I own an Eheim that is 10 years old.The Iwaki was retired and used for parts.The Eheim still runs like a champ.I guess you can say I have been spoiled by there reliability.

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I have to chime in and say if a pump is well maintained it will last a very long time. I bought a 4 MDQX-SC I think it is back in 2002 and was up and running till march of 2014
    its still working today. Every year I would take it apart and soak the impellers and stuff. The fan I would use a tooth brush to clean the dust off of it frequently. I purchased a REEF Flo Dart Snapper that everyone was saying the seal would leak so I took it apart checked everything before I put it together and no problems. I purchased this one because of the lower wattage and the higher flow. Maintenance is key. All equipment is at risk of failure. Some equipment is better than others as far as quality is concerned. I had a Berlin Turbo Skimmer and went through two pumps. The second one was my fault because I let the water run to low. It's all really one of two things. Preference and budget.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah, I have a Rio600 that probably has a couple hours of running completely dry. It's not a full time pump but it's 8 years old and has been abused. Haha. Still works for my water changes.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Thats hysterical Av8 I have/use the same one.Its taken a pretty good beating.:)
    Just keep in mind that a return pump is the heart of your system; problems and Murphys law can really create mayhem

RoloSaez likes this.
  6. floydie83

floydie83 Flamingo Tongue

My DC-6000 came in today. Nice pump. Ran it in a bucket with RO. Like that I can lower the flow. This will be helpful in cutting back on power consumption. The pump was quiet. I did a nice slow ramp up to the power it was set to. Also when you power off and back on the pump memorizes the setting.

7. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I was thinking about it a bit and I was thinking that the variable speed control would help extend the life of the pump. I may be wrong. According to the graph that is posted with this pump, at 6.5 ft the pump pushes 800gph. This may be accurate or not, but lets say for a moment it is. If my setup is set at 6.5ft of head and I am needing to pump 400gph through the DT, that would be half of the power needed to drive the pump. Would this not extend the life of the pump as it is only running 50%?

8. Click Here!

9. floydie83

No idea if it will help...but i'm always a fan at running things lower than capacity.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm currently using 2 WP40's- bought at different times- each came with a slightly different controller- They're doing awesome- love the different settings, but more importantly- the 'FEED' setting also.

I've been using the DC12000 for many months also- forgot how many though- 6 months?
    In that time- my power supply failed! Was able to use my Marineland 5500 as backup, and then the DC12000 with a slightly lower power supply.
    Then I got a newer stock power supply and it's been up and running again just fine.
    Which reminds me, I have to call the distributor- Champion lighting and supply tomorrow about where my new one is.

Bottom line- they are a good pump, excellent controllers, low power draw, high flow.
    OH- and INTERNAL too! Big plus for me too

what about those barracuda, or what ever it was that kept blowing up?

floydie83 likes this.
  11. floydie83

Jebao seems like the Hyundai of the reefing world. Hopefully it keeps getting better.

12. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

any update? I have had mine running now for a few weeks. nothing special to report. it pumps water, its quiet and I like the variable speed as well as the slow ramp up like others have mentioned.