DC Pump Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zgetman, Jul 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I put a cheap skimmer on my wife's tank. Over the years, the skimmer did well enough, but I replaced the pump twice. My Bubble King hasn't needed anything.

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Actually they don't even have the reliability rating of cheap pumps either.

Look the bottom line is if the possibility of failure is fine with you I understand. I only ask that you use that pump as something other than a return pump. Maybe consider a closed loop.

If you are using it as a return pump, you need to ask yourself how much you are willing to risk. If you are not sure enough to risk all of your livestock, this may not be the pump for you. In your mind, what failure rate is acceptable?

The 6000 Jebao pumps (this includes all those pumps that they OEM for various manufacturers as well) have similar flow to an Eheim 1260 which is priced from $130 - $145. They also have similar current draw as well.

Billme likes this.
  4. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

The way I look at it is this. If it fails, I live less than 5 minutes from a very large pet store and I have a backup mag5 that I can put in place in an emergency. Maybe I'll regret it but hopefully it will be later than sooner.

5. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I've had my DC12000 running since Feburary this year with no issues. I think it's a great pump and it powers my whole tank at one notch below half power. I was feeding my biopellet reactor, skimmer, carbon reactor off it at that setting. With no issues. Now I'm just feeding the tank, skimmer and turf scrubber. This is a much lower load on the pump that before. I like how it starts up slowly and not right away. I believe that will really help in increasing it's reliabilty.

floydie83 likes this.
  6. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Gcarroll and I will surely disagree here but the two wp40s I've had for 19 months and the dc6000 I've had for 9 have performed flawlessly.

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

As long as reefers are willing to gamble it will continue to sell. I have asked the same question over and over regarding this pump on all of the major boards and it continues to go unanswered...

What is an acceptable rate of failure for a return pump?

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I have no problem with the wp 20, 40, or 60. If they fail there is likely no loss of livestock.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

On more thing guys, I am not saying any of you have made the wrong decision choosing the Jebao DC pumps. My goal is only for you to make informed decisions regarding your choice of equipment. I want you to weigh the good, the bad, and the ugly. We all will not come to the same choice as we all put different levels of importance to the things regarding our reef.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I guess it depends on your reef, back up pump accessibility and how much you're home.
    When I had my eurobracing installed a few months ago water level was dropped to less than half and no return pump for 3 days. Only airstone and powerheads on low setting. Fish were just fine. Corals were fine. Big tank low fish load. I could get something going in an hour with my water change pump if I needed to.
    No guarantees with an expensive pump. My Red dragon pump failed last year and the motor replacement cost about as much as most new pumps.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I went thru three impellers and a new volute on my bubble blaster 3000 pump. And no I did t drop it.