Dbo's plywood frag tank (now filled!)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by DBOSHIBBY, Feb 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Mines a 50g plastic 'Rubbermaid Roughneck', and works great!- was $17.75 new for the container.

2. Click Here!

3. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Very nicely done! I will be stealing that idea. :)

4. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

if there is no view, how will u enjoy? also the top part is half blocked....

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Thats what I think.... How can you enjoy something like that when its completely opague and you need to look from above as well as having that big light cover most of it?

Seems like a great idea but im not sure its for me.

Has anyone ever tried to look into their tanks from the top? Its far more difficult to see the coral etc when there is good flow....

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Guys. This is a frag/growout tank. Not a display tank. This is tucked away in a room in the corner of my house.
    Could I have put a viewing panel on the front? Yeah, but I felt it wasnt needed for my intentions. This is to grow corals out and it will do just that.
    The opening on the top is plenty big enough to see inside and move stuff around, even if the pics dont show it.
    I wanted to try something different, and I love how it came out.

7. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I understand and agree with your logic. I personally think that it will serve its purpose perfectly and think that you did a great job making it look like it was built into that opening when the cabinets were installed and looks overall well built. Great job with the laminate and the trim. Awesome job. I have a similar opening in my hallway and would love something like that. Again I must say it looks awesome.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hahahaha, this got me thinking.... i would not say I am the most organized individual in every day life but when it comes to my aquarium and tank equipment im almost as organized a serial killer, its pretty funny

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Thanks man! I appreciate it. Hopefully someone else will see this thread and try it out.

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I wanted to have everything I needed for fragging within a arms reach lol and yes...im a bit ocd when it comes to organization lol

1 person likes this.
  12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I could see your vision for this tank from the start. Totally agree and applaud your frag tank build.

+1

I DIY alot of my systems, and I'm really impressed.

When you go to frag swaps/meets, etc., The tanks, even if they are visible from the side, are pretty much a top down sort of thing.

This is an awesome idea/build/finished product, etc.