darn ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by the glass guy, Mar 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Wouldn’t say I’m panicking. Just want to get a handle on this before gets out of control. Ich is deadly if gets out of control. Seems like only chance of survival is to catch it early and treat it. My problem is no QT so I’m behind 8ball to start
    One of the LFS I trust. Because I don’t have a QT tank and I have a clam I’m limited in what I can do to treat. I’m going to do 2 things.
    1) Improve the food and diet. I feed mysis and flakes (regular& veggie) but don’t do garlic. Veggie flakes say there is garlic in it. Will get Kent Maine C and Kent Garlic Extreme.
    2) Ich Attack is only thing I can use for meds. Saw a handful of youtube videos and the common theme for all was a combo of good food ich attach. I’m not sure Ill add Ich Attach right away but worried if I don’t it will get worse.
    Hopefully improved food will help the fish immune system to fight this off.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Your tank can live with Ich. I would personally not use garlic unless your fish aren't eating. Again, slow down and please research on your own. Plenty of info out there!

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I'm gonna give about 24-48 hours before I do anything. I'll watch fish closely. Didn't get any worse when I got him from work.
    Ugh I hate ich.

5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Did not dose for ich. Fish ended up with 1 spot and was eating. Thought I'd see how it turns out. Now has 2 or 3 spots. I know they fall off after couple days. Gonna just ride it out and see how it goes

6. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

ugh so frustrated. Fish only had 1-2 spots on him. now is covered! Ugh. Haven’t treated tank. I don’t have a QT tank so I’m screwed. This is such an expensive hobby. I have no room for a QT tank and really don’t have the money. But if you don’t get one them you run the risk of losing all your fish. So the investomet is worth it. Im upgrading tanks soon so might add a QT. Where do you guys keep your QT tanks? Is a 10 g good enough for a QT? Guess would need a filter in there and some kind of pump to move water. Ugh
    anyway I have no choice but to treat my tank now.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

oh no!! so sorry to hear, it sounded like it was going in a good direction!

8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I had a bad outbreak in my 300gal. Obv I could not get my fish out. My LFS recommended Dr G's medicated caviar food. Basically feed your fish only the Dr. G's stuff for I think three weeks. I can't remember but the directions are on the bottle. Three of my fish were covered to the point I thought they were gonna die. All are alive and well.

Here's the info on it: http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/anti-parasitic-caviar-detail.cfm

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Active Ingredient: Chloroquine phosphate. Very very interesting. Thanks.

Here is a link for Chloroquine use in marine fish.

Aquarium Fish: Chloroquine: A "New" Drug for Treating Fish Diseases — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

CBS is your tank a reef or FOWLR?

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Corailline: It's FOWLR. Some of the LR I transferred had some GSP & Rock Nems on them, but that's all that will be in there. I wasn't concerned with that stuff dying off as a result of the excess Dr G's landing on it. I was/am never a fan of dosing my tank so I tried this first and it worked wonders. My large Desjardini, juvi Yellow Tang, were absolutely covered. My girlfriend would literally come home from work and cry while watching them suffer. I had little faith in this working because of how far gone these fish were. Proud to say both pulled through!! I used a turkey baster and only squirted small amounts of the Dr G in the tank at a time until I saw the fish were full, so there wasn't much excess that remained in the tank. Also my Yellow Tang wasn't a fan of the stuff so I would soak the seaweed in it, and also some mysis in it and she ate it that way. Hope this helps.

12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

thanks everyone. Im on day 6 of Kick Ich treatment. I have a clam and wife just got me a torch coral so dose has to be reef safe. Ugh
    Im not seeing any improvement which is expected. This is a long process. Everything is on hold right now. Have an empty 90g tank ready to go but have to wait.
    I feel AWFUl for my fish. Covered in the spots. Amazing how bad ich is but how easy it is to get. Good news is fish is eating well