Dang GSP!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by NittyGritty, Jan 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

So, I recently picked up a large rock covered in GSP from a friends tank in which it was fully open. I know this is a soft coral in which is considered a beginner coral or nuisance due to the fact it can grow quick and over everything. But honestly, I love it and since I'm working on a mix reef I gotta have some. Now, the problem I'm having is the same problem I had 3 years ago in a different tank. It just won't open!

Everything else is fine but for some reason GSP hates me. Has anyone else had this particular problem with this coral and know exactly what was off and aided in its stubbornness?

I also don't think it's flow and my friend and I talked about the length of its polyps due to flow rate as he had a lot ranging from high flow to dead still.

2. Click Here!

3. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

[​IMG] you can see the entire purple base here.

FYI I'm doing a 20% water change today as well.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

How long ago was "recently"? While many corals are adaptable to a range of conditions, they're still sensitive to change and can take some time to fully acclimate to their new home. Constantly changing their environment to try to make them happy can actually prolong the process.

5. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

It's been in my tank for about a week. The longest it has been for any coral I've had to open. My previous attempt, almost 6 months.

6. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I had mine at one point stay closed for 2 weeks and I had no idea what it was. everything else was fine in the tank. thought it was lack of food or elements. then one morning the lights came on and one by one they came out. I wouldn't stress it especially if you say that everything else is good in there.

7. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Was that two weeks once you introduced it to the tank or just at random?

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would just give it some time, it "looks" healthy from the picture. Mine will randomly close up also - not sure why but it does it and will stay closed for a couple of days then opens up...

10. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

it was random I would say. about a month and half after introduction. The thing actually covered majority of the shell that it came mounted on.