damsel and shrimp problem

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by nemo79, May 25, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I have a 20g tank and we have one damsel in it (purple, yellow, and white) we just got a cleaner shrimp and I think it's terrified of the damsel. The shrimp has been hiding on the filter outake because the damsel keeps pecking at it's antannae? any one have any suggestions...the shrimp is worth more than the fish!

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Your damsel just may want a "cleaning"...8)

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

My suggestion is to get rid of the damsel :) Sounds like a territory issue to me. When my fish want to be cleaned, they go near the shrimp and lean over a bit...never peck at it.

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I would never think about cleaning in this situation, as you said, when my tang in the 55g wants a cleaning it leans over. It is territory, which is a shame because the damsel is really pretty but my hubby loves shrimp and it was $30 where as the damsel was $10. I say chuck the damsel and get a really cool goby!

6. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

How long have you had the shrimp

HI,
    I moved a skunk to the sea horse tank and he freaked out and wouldnt even react to any of the fish as they approached ,if the fish isn't hurting the shrimp give them a few days to work it out.
    Animals are always edgy at first.
    My roayal gamma was getting into to it with my maroon clowns and clarki, the problem was more teritorial that aggresion. He learned after a few days were he was allowed to go. Ive even seen a watchman goby react to a sea horse but once he relaized he didn't want his cave he's ok with that.
    My tang hated my angel at first and chased it around I think he thought it was a tang after a few days they are all chummy and buddies and actually clean rock side by side.
    relationships take time with people and animals it they aint bleeding I let them work it out.
    Now there are a few hoplessly aggresive animals that I wouldn't try this on.
    Things like a pack of blue damsels or two angels in the same tank its gonna get uggly. sooner or later.
    Doug

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Thanks everyone. I am willing to give them time...it's my hubby's tank and he's freakin. I told him this would happen with a damsel and that it was going to be hard adding anything into the tank. If this get ugly the damsel is going!