Dacian's RedSea Reefer 350

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by dacianb, Feb 24, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Not a fan of sicce.... Tunze is the way for me

2. Click Here!

3. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I tried them because of size (small and nice looking).
    I have also an ATI / Jebao RW8 which break your fingers if you get them between magnets.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. dacianb

Some details on the lighting system. Pictures above are with a test module I tested for around a year on 2 different tanks and I saw all good parts and bad parts of it. Now I am working on another version of system with superior power and features.
    This light started as a bet and went crazy.

First step was to design a new power board with different features than ones on market - Next to LED driver, such boards can have fan drivers mounted on, thermal switches for fan and also thermal cut-offs in case of overtemperature (if fan system fails)
    ScreenShot1.jpg

Next step was to design and order new led boards. Each light module on my tank will have 64 LEDs and around 180W
    Here is the board:

20160118_072727.jpg

Going further, I build such chasses for the light: 3mm high quality al plates, added 2 extruded black anodized heatsinks and some spacers for power boards.

20160205_203137.jpg

Next step was to design new side covers - made out of Al sheets and painted in electrostatic field for top corrosion resistance. Each cover have an industrial grade waterproof connector fit to it (golden plated pins for top lifetime expectancy).Those lateral wings will allow me to mount the lights on rails in a very low profile way or to hang them too.

20160223_142213.jpg

5. dacianb

Power boards finalized. Theoretically this week-end I can start the lights (at least with half of leds mounted, as I still miss some leds)

Here is one of the boards.

20160226_130644.jpg

Swisswiss likes this.
  6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

7. dacianb

Of course my wife had different weekend plans than me, so not too much time to work on lights, but still enough time to do tank maintenance, buy 2 nice corals :) and solder 64 LEDs on 4 boards. Tested and works great.

All 4 boards are the same, on each light module will use 2, solving channel 1,2 and 5.
    So on each board I put:
    - line A - 3X Oslon Square Neutral White with CRI 90 + 2X Oslon Square Deep Blue (440-450 range) - channel 5
    - line B - 6 X Oslon Square Deep Blue (440-450 range) - channel 2
    - line C - 2X Prolight Opto violet (395-405 nm range) + 3 X Prolight Opto violet (430 nm)
    boards.jpg

8. Click Here!

9. dacianb

I went a bit further, in first pic are the 3 thermal switches mounted - the 2x blue ones will shut down the lights when sensors get to 60°C and the black one on top is the fan start/stop system (fan on at 50°C and off at 30C°). Heatsinks and sensors are not aligned / screws not tightened yet.
    On the second pic I mounted 4 boards on each plate (2 with leds on, 2 only as dummy to check holes alignments). Removing the protection foil is now visible how nice and shiny this part is :)

20160229_193156.jpg mounted boards.jpg

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I virtually shake your hand my friend. Very impressive:2thumbsup:

11. dacianb

Thanks Chris, took me some time to plan and design everything, but in the end I think worth the effort :p . It is a light I would never be able to find in shops and I won the bet as well (to build a commercial level light system in my living room with minimum tools :) )

chris adams likes this.
  12. dacianb

Finally a weekend with a lot of free time, so I worked hard on the lights and are almost finalized (actually works great above tank already, but I still mis the top covers (to hide electronics), but is just a visual detail, not a functional one.
    Still the lights are using only half of the planned leds, but the missing ones will be added a bit later - just have to be sure if I will need some new, different colors :)
    During mounting things.... damn so many wires :) - by the way, this is the living room table - so bet my wife was not happy
    010.jpg

Here is the light with all wires where should be and all side covers mounted - just the fan is missing:)
    011.jpg
    Finally the fan is in:
    012.jpg

And a view of bottom part - splash screen mounted (I used Lexan sheets as are way superior to regular PMMA) - still not all leds in, this is the reason of the hanging wires around. Once will add the missing boards, all wires will get into place.
    013.jpg

Some more details....
    014.jpg 015.jpg

And finally mounted on the tank
    016.jpg 017.jpg
    With details about rails will come back later