Dacian's RedSea Reefer 350

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by dacianb, Feb 24, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The story of my tank is a bit old already, but I will make a short history of what happened in the past until today - so I will have an up-to-date tank journal.

After some adventures and tank laying unused in my living room, at end of summer 2015 I started building it up.
    Skimmer used - BubbleMagus Curve 7 - somehow overrated for such a tank... but it is performing great
    Return pump - Aquamedic initially, but break down after 2 months and I replaced with ATI DCT-4000 ECO
    Flow pump - still one - ATI/Jebao Stream Pump RW-8 (8 000 l / hour) set on sine waves mode, but other 2 x Sicce Voyager (2000 l / h) should arrive in couple of days.

Rocks - dried rocks from online shop - terrible disappointed by them. Anyway, I started the cycle with them and since then, every few weeks I replace a single rock with super ones. Few more months and my tank will look the way I want.

For next 3 months did not made too many to the tank, just adding fishes slowly-slowly.

Now I have followings (some may say overstock, some that is still place for couple of guys):
    Yellow Tang
    Kole Tang
    Clown Fish (2x)
    Blue Chromis
    LireTails Anthias
    Tailspot Blenny
    Midas Blenny
    Banggai Cardinalfish
    Royal Gramma Basslet
    Coral Beauty Angelfish

Each is one, except clowns - pair.
    It is a very peaceful community, some minor chase of kole against the tailspot blenny (similar dark color??), but the blenny is too small and slim and enter rocks fast enough to not harm him. But sometimes are next to each other munching rocks, no issues.

I tried for more than 2 months to keep a copperband butterfly, but he only eat pods on the rocks, then sometimes, fresh and very alive shrimps. He studied each and every creature for long seconds before deciding to eat it. And never made it if didnt moved as crazy. But that guy died whatever I tried to feed him - all types of frozen bugs and worms I was able to buy, fresh clams, tubes with holes, and everything I saw and red around the web.
    After he died, I bought a longnose butterfly (reading that are easier than CBB) - this time my yellow tang (very peaceful otherwise, not even interested by new fishes I put in tank) became a monster and I saw for first time the "dark side" of a tang - pushing with spine, biting and harassing continuously the poor longnose until I took him out and next day returned to shop. :(

Based on my tests, I had NO3 level around 10, but still doubted after 2 months of really heavy feeding (to convince my CBB to take a bite I had to flood the tank with food).
    Anyway, I bought new tests (more reliable as I red around) - 2 types for NO3, KH, PH, Ca, Mg and preparing my tank for lot of corals
    First tests were terrible for NO3 - around 40. Now I was able to drop it at 0.00-0.75range.

On corals, 3 different Euphyllia and some zoas doing great with the high nitrates period and NOPOX treatment too (ah and a bubble nem too, not affected by issues in the tank).

Also, for Christmas I get a "great" gift - 2 beautiful acros - I had no idea what parameters are in my tank, just a vague idea about how to care of them... But I had to put them in the tank - after that I found out that I have NO3 of 40. Of course they both became brown next day.
    I am the only bad guy keeping sps in this conditions??

After days of having just 2 brown sticks in the tank, reading a lot about SPS flow, light, water and making adjustments needed I see life coming back to them - polyps are out (not full, but before I saw only holes), some good area of brown change back to a light bluish... so hopefully will recover them.

Currently I am following RS reef foundation program (KH, Mg and Ca) + NOPOX to bring NO3 in low range. After this, planning to go to next programs- energy and coloration, but for the moment I want to bring water at required parameters and stabilize it

My sump:
    010.jpg

the right side
    011.jpg

tank during cycle
    004.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

keep the pics coming!

4. dacianb

My tank as looked end of January 2016. On lighting system I have to add more modules (I am working on it) and today I just received 2 new circulation pumps which will add extra 4000 l/hour flow.

001.jpg 002.JPG

5. dacianb

Some of the fishes....

007.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

6. dacianb

And some corrals as well:
    003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 013.JPG

Redd likes this.
  7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

"I cant say that im sorrryyyy...for blowing up Alderaannn"

dacianb likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

What are those cool ball things in the last pic?

10. dacianb

no idea, some kind of sponges I guess.

Swisswiss likes this.
  11. Swisswiss

12. dacianb

thanks - still under development (so vulnerable to any rebellion attacks :p ) but will be finalized till summer I hope. I need some new lights to build, some rocks to change and then corals.
    Yesterday I get 2 Sicce flow pumps (2000l /h) rated for up to 12mm glass (RS reefer have 12mm glass) but I am a bit disappointed that I saw them today slided on a lower position than I put them yesterday. So the magnets dont hold quite well the 12mm glass. :mad:

Swisswiss likes this.