Cynobacteria issues

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Iraf, Mar 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Wow I can't believe I just read that whole post

Ok another stupid question would a UV sterilizer help to keep this from happening in the future, if so or if it's recommended anyway how the heck do you set them up? Do they go on the drain from tank>sump or return from Sump>tank?

2. Click Here!

3. WCW

WCW Feather Duster

I don't know if this will help, but I had a recent experience with the maroon/burgundy colored cyano. I sucked up as much as i could off a couple rocks. I then sucked up thethe rest of it up off the substrate. Had to do this 2-3 times. I also aimed a power head at that area and bought a black sailfin blenny. I noticed after I'd placed the powerhead it looked like the cyano was trying to grow back. Next thing I know as i'm looking at it the blenny comes down there and starts eating it. Voila.... I've not had the problem again.

ps. let me clarify, I've cc for substrate at the moment so I allowed the hose to suck up the top layer (maybe a 1/4" at most) of substrate into a bucket. I then took it to the sink and rinsed about 4-5 times then put it back into tank.

4. WCW

WCW Feather Duster

I just replied to your post and just saw this one... I've a UV sterilizer so it apparently doesnt stop it from starting/growing...I've a Twist 3X I believe and always have it running. As far as set up it's pretty easy. Just need a powerhead and some hoses. Mine hangs on the back of my tank.

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

As I understand Cryno, isn't really bacteria it a form of algae, UV's are for Bacteria.

Flow, lighting and water conditions, and manually cleaning it out are the only way to control it.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

cayno is a combination of both
    agree, also what your putting in the tank effects the biochem dilema

OZ REEF - Cyanobacteria
    Frequently Asked Questions (& Answers!) :: Slime Algae
    Cyano, Cyanos, Cyanobacteria, Blue-Green Algae, Algae, Red slime Algae, Slime Algae, Slime, Undesirable algae

what type of filtration do you have? where do you get your ro/di? what, how, and how much do you feed your tank?

heres a sample of two snails that feed off of cyano
    Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Nerite Snail
    Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Banded Trochus Snail

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I stand corrected, thank you for clarifying that, all I have ever read about it they call it algae.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

in my experience if you just leave it, it goes on its own as your tank matures

10. Mulch

Mulch Astrea Snail

I had a major cyano issue and a minor green hair problem. TURBO SNAILS!!!
    I threw 6 turbos in my 65g and it was amazing. The tank is now so clean, I'm going to take a few back so they don't starve to death.

Anyone near Philly need some turbo snails?

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Are you using instant ocean salt?

12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

yeah it's I/O salt cause thats all the LFS sells, I buy pre-mixed saltwater since They dont have a RO/DI and neither do I