cycling?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Blazinfire, Jan 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

hahaha. well i've been so worried and busy and frustrated trying to find ammonia for the fishless cycle.

first time today i've had a good laugh thanx for that post :)

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I know what you mean my snake head was small when I got him but when he got bigger he ate all my other fish except the jack demsi. also catfish are good to have as they eat fish pop of the bottom.

4. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

speaking of bottom feeder's and cleaning fish such as pleco's and other type's of algae eaters. is it good to have one in the tank while the tank is in the cycling process with the other fish. or should i just take care of algae my self til the cycling process is over?

i do know pleco's i'd probably have to get a dwarf version. if i went with getting a pleco at one time because its only a 38 gallon tank :)

5. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

so. does everyone think that red tetra's would be alright if i get 6 to 8 of them for the cycling process. and if its safe to add an algae eater, or another type of fish as a clean up crew during the cycle i will probably add one after a week or two of having the red tetra's.

6. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

As far as I can remember pletcos are pretty hardy as long as there is stuff for him to eat, adding a clean up crew now wouldn't be a problem.most of your bottom feeders are pretty hardy for fresh water ,probably because of what they eat.

1 person likes this.
  7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would stick with a molly and sit it out. Another consideration with using a fish(s) for cycling: Most fish stores will give you credit for fish that die pending water quality. In the middle of the cycle and you lose 3 of the tetras and you are out of luck.

8. Click Here!

9. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

well i'm pretty sure i can get red tetra's for like $1 a piece. that's nothing really in my opinion. and i'd only go with black mollies for the fact my girlfriend likes them.

and as far as the pleco is concerned RHorton i'm sure after a week or two some algae would be built up. since the tank is in the general direction of the kitchen table i could eat my meals with the light on and watch the fish i end up choosing to stock for the cycle. if all fails then i do believe there is algae disc's (i'd have to do my research. dont know much about if they are effective or not)

10. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

yea they will eat the disc at least the ones I had eat them. I remeber one time when I had a fish die (a tiger barb) I couldn't find it and come to find out it was because the pletco was sucking on it with just the tail sticking out of its mouth. lol

11. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

lol that's funny. but yea that seems to be the best idea instead of being frustrated with having to drive hours away for ammonia. and diffidently letting shrimp of food sit in the tank. and i planned on watching the fish while i eat anyways so that will mean i can do that even sooner :)

just now the hard decision is just choosing what to stock it with. it probably will either be barbs or tetra's. just do not wanna stock alot cuz of what i plan to stock the tank with after the cycling process is over. because never know they all might stay alive lol.

which if any body else knows of other good cycling fish other than barbs, tetra's and mollies let me know. and once again everyone thanx for all your help. now i'm getting excited i'll be adding fish to the tank tomorrow :D cant wait

12. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

oh yea one last question about the cycling process. with fish in it. after the cycle is finished i should have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites correct? i just know this from reading on fishless cycle. ofcourse i'm sure its the same thing