Cycling Tank with Live Sand an All Base Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by texanjordan, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I am going to cycle my new reef tank with around 70 pounds of Dry Base Rock and 120 pounds of live rock. How long is it going to take my tank to cycle? Do I need to add anything like a piece of shrimp or something to make it cycle? I decided to go with all base rock to avoid getting anything unwanted in my tank.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You really don't need anything additional to cycle the tank, although just about every one else will tell you should add something. I cycled dry rock in 2 weeks with no added anything. There should be enough organic material left on the rock to cycle the tank evne if it's cleaned well.

You said you are using all base rock to cycle, then why the 120lbs of live rock?

4. texanjordan

I got the Live Sand pretty cheap from Doctor Foster Smith, and i can buy the base rock where i live for 2 dollars a pound. I just dont want any bad hitchikers or Algae. I want to be able to controll all that goes in my tank. Thats why i want to go with all base rock

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i think he meant to say 120 lbs live sand...

Like Guitar said, you don't need live anything or to add a shrimp or a live fish or any of that... doesn't hurt, IMO, but not necessary either.

6. texanjordan

How long would a cycle take in your opinion? Can I add a fish or two immediately, or do i have to wait?

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You can add 1 small fish, the best candidate IMO is a yellow tailed damsel, but any damsel should work because they are very hardy. Besides that, I wouldn't add anything.

I did mean to 120lbs live rock, you stated, "70 pounds of Dry Base Rock and 120 pounds of live rock." Did you just mean to say base rock?

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

As to how long the cycle should take, probably about 4 weeks, but it depends on your tank and setup. No two cycles are exactly the same. Your test kits will tell you when it's finished.

10. texanjordan

my bad, typo. I am adding 70 pounds of base rock and 120 pounds of live sand as a DSB

11. texanjordan

i wasnt planning on adding any type of damsel, can you add a goby or clown fish or anything else besides a damsel when cycling your tank? If there is not any live rock and you have the live sand as the bio load, wouldent the ammonia be very minimal? And can a single fish survive the cycling process, or would it be better to wait untill the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels drop off?