Cycling new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ParrotFish, Dec 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Salmo salar

Salmo salar Flamingo Tongue

If it were me id stop adding all the chemicals and just lay patient. If your using a good brand of salt it should have all you need for now.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

This is getting more complicated. I'm not sure if your tank will even cycle. You should not have added the Alpha. You need to go read up on how to cycle a tank. You actually need the ammonia to cycle the tank.
    The whole premise of cycling a tank is to grow bacteria that eats the ammonia.
    Those bacteria produce waste in the form of Nitrite. A new bacteria eats that.
    You need to let these bacteria grow naturally.
    The tank needs to run it's natural course.
    Few people have success with tap water. If you live somewhere where the water is super pure maybe but I would not risk it. I would drain all that water and start over with some pure RO/DI water. If you don't you are setting yourself up for a huge green algae bloom.
    You can't cut corners in this hobby.

4. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

You don't need to add any chemicals right now. And also, you shouldn't have added it directly to the tank like that. Well, it's okay this time since you (hopefully) don't have fish or coral yet. But in the future, don't add dechlorinator directly to the tank. It could have a few adverse effects

5. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

I need to add this to my signature as well. Its good advice.

As for "fast cycling" a SW tank, the ONLY thing that happens fast in a reef tank is disaster.

Contact your LFS about buying RO/DI water from them and/or order you an RO/DI unit. Drain the tank and start over.

6. Fish_whipped

Fish_whipped Astrea Snail

Why is using tap so bad to begin with?

7. 3dees

3dees Plankton

I cycled my 120 gal. with 140 lbs. of live rock shipped from Florida. with the die off, my tank took 10 days to cycle.

8. Click Here!

9. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

When you use tap water along with the water conditioner then all of the chemicals in the water plus the chemicals in the conditioner are still in the water. When you start with RO/DI or Distilled Water the only thing in the water is H2O. The purer/cleaner you start with your water, the better off your chances of success. Especially when it comes to the effects that can be caused by the chemicals in your water when you start with Tap Water.