Cyanobacteria Outbreak

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Crystal12, Jan 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crystal12

Crystal12 Astrea Snail

I have a 54 gallon corner tank that has been up and running for about 2 months. I have been battling cyanobacteria for quite some time now. The water parameters are great, and I am wondering if flow is the problem. I currently have a hydor 400gph on the side, a maxi jet 900 in the back, and the return pump is 250gph from the filter. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Do you have a sump or HOB filter?
    PO4 levels if any?

4. Crystal12

Crystal12 Astrea Snail

I am using a wet dry filter, and do not have a PO4 test kit. I use RO water for all top offs and water changes.

5. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Is the return pump rated for 250 or is that what it is pushing after taking into account head height? It sounds like you don't have enough flow. While the gph might seem like a lot, those are both pretty small powerheads for a 54. The size of the pumps affects the distance the can effectively push the water, and from my experience with similar pumps on a 38 they weren't enough. I just put a 700gph circulation pump in in addition to my 2 425gph pumps and filter etc. the 700 moves the water a lot farther, and eliminates a lot of dead spots

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking that it may also be a "stage" of the new aquarium. It's been so long since I started a new aquarium but I have read many times that you will experience different algae stages in the beginning of a new setup.

7. Crystal12

Crystal12 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advice. I kind of figured I didn't have enough flow, but I wasn't sure what the gph should total up to. I also have a 55 gallon that I've had up for about 5 months and I have never had a problem with cyanobacteria.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Flow does play a big role but like OFK said it could be a stage of a new tank. I have 3 tanks and and one had a cyano bloom with plenty of flow. Also buy a phosphate test kit. I was buying RO from a LFS for a few months that weren't up to par on changing out the media so I was dumping crap in my tank when I thought it was good water.