Cyanobacteria, 3 Parts, 3 Links...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by CheckMateKingll, Mar 10, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fatsplat10

fatsplat10 Plankton

i heared that you should also have a few different types of macro-algae in the main tank. Its just a part of a natural reef ecosystem

2. Click Here!

3. ginxing

ginxing Plankton

Where can you puchase potassium permanganate and is it safe for fish and corals?

4. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

water flow

Add more water flow over the red algae build up to reduce the chances of it coming back. This should be one of the first things.

Zak

5. enross

enross Plankton

Red felt on my rocks/sand

Hello,
    New to the salt water thing, and tried reading the first quote...but perhaps today was too long, too much traveling, or I'm not a nuclear scientists :) but....I've got this red stuff all over my tank. The guy at the fish store says it would go away in a month...but gave me some red slime stuff to get rid of it.
    I put it in, waited the 48 hours, vacumed up the sand...and made all that go away (on the sand), but the stuff on the rock aint budging.
    How do I clean the rock?? I did 20 years in the Navy...so i aint all that bright, so keep it simple.
    Thanks
    Eric

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The stuff on your rock that won't budge may be coralline algae.
    coralline - Google Image Search
    It comes in an array of colors. Maroon being one of them.

7. enross

enross Plankton

Thats it!!! Thank you. Now...what do I do about it. Do I need it there, or is there a way to kill it. Do I want to kill it, and if so...how?

Thanks
    Eric

8. Click Here!

9. nortek

nortek Plankton

in my expirience if you set your tank with regular tap water you must have cyano phosphate and silicates increase the grow of cyano use bidestilated water for your water any way check the water you use the level of phosfates and silicates