Cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by coldshot, Mar 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

My nitrates are 40 I dont know about the phosphates until tommorrow. I might have to get chemicals on it from the last post about it taking over the dt I dont want that. I took all the rock out and scrubbed it with a brush and put it back and tomorrow I am doing a smal 15% water change then every other day until it should all be new fresh water. I will vaccum out the cc sub but dont really want to as it removes what I need in the overall scheme of things....But it will come back...It appears that now after scrubbing the purple off the rocks it looks as if the green hair is coming into play....I am just getting started and not having a good start but all is well....

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Well, another thing to consider are your lights and lighting schedule. Can you tell us about that?

4. coldshot

Actinics on at 6am and daylights on at 8am daylights off at 6pm actinics off at 8pm moonlights always on. Cyano is not an algae and is not based on the lights It is a bacteria and is based on phosphates and nitrates. quote me if I am wrong it wouldnt be the first time. this is just info I gather here and there on the 3w's lights have no play or say in the cyano matter

5. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

one thing you can do which has helped win the battle with cyano is to peel it off if it is thick enough to do so and turn off you pumps/waterflow to keep it in front of your hands i did a combination of peeling and rowaphos in a phosban reactor over month i might have a spot or two that is about a 1/4 inch or so but i have a 125 so i barely notice it and no one else does which is what really matters also the rowaphos is also helping keep it gone too

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

OK first of all i apologize to 3reef!!! I'm going to cite something from reefcentral here *shame*

A Message From The Editor - Reefkeeping.com

Check that out. Quoted directly - "Cyanobacteria responds to light, which is why it turns darker as the lighting period progresses and fades away during the late night hours. Starving it of light is a good chemical-free solution, provided the corals can handle the darkened period."

You're right that it's a bacteria, but light plays a role in its life, as well.

I suggest changing your light schedule to this (more than 12 hours a day is not recommended):

Actinics on at 6am and off at 6pm (could even do 5pm)
    Daylights on at 730am and off at 530pm

That's just a suggestion though, and not gospel. I'll give you my schedule as an example:

PCs on at 10am and off at 10pm
    MHs on at 1pm and off at 7pm

7. coldshot

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

Am I wanting to completly remove phosphates and nitrates? Will that fix the problem?

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Well you want those as gone as possible anyways. Regardless of if it's to get rid of your algae or not.

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I hate to tell you this but my chaeto and cyano live in perfect harmony in my fuge

12. coldshot

Good Call thanks alot on that!!!!