Cyano?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lotzofish, Sep 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

I agree with you on this point but why, all of the sudden, am I having algae issues?

2. Click Here!

3. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Hmmm.. I will test this idea. My past experiences with cyano (other tanks) have been that they do not disappear over night and reappear in the morning. Do you still believe this could be the case? Oh yeah, the sand is live aragonite. I think that it is a type of crushed calcium carbonate?

4. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

you will have algae issues pretty much endless, there always a reason behind why algae grows, lights, parameters, bio-load, and the list goes on, to honest, algae will grow no matter what, it is our duty to keep it to a minimum

5. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Hello all again,
    I have recieved my silicate test kit (Seachem), and it shows that my tank has less than 1 mg/L... Due to the lack of silicates, I don't think that I am dealing with diatoms; I believe that this may be some form of cyano. I have added a small critter ball with a ball of chaeto into my sump with a light over top. Hopefully this will take the nutrients from the bad algae. Thanks again for all of your insight.

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

get more cleaners that eat it and they will take care of it. buy salt with lower bio available silica.