Cyano?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lotzofish, Sep 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

wow, could not have said it better myself, kudos to you :)

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

He said in the first post his lights are only 6 months old and that they are PC's so I would suspect that they still have a good 6 to 12 months in them.

4. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Hmmm.. I'll test the mix water for silicates. I use R/O, but you never know! :) the PH is a steady 8.4 (chemi-pure buffered this, and it hasn't moved since I started using it). I bought the new PC lights about two months after I set the tank up, so they only have 6 months (if that much) on them. I'll test the PH again, just for good measure though!!
    Thanks for your advice!

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i would never run pc's more than 8 months, i love the fact that when i had first started my old reef with T5's, i ran those things to the ground for 2 years untill somebody told me i had to replace them ;D, i never lost anything due to light issues :)

6. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

OOOOPPS!!! I typed pc lights, but i meant CF's (What's the difference?)... Grrr me, and my non-functioning brain.....:angry:

7. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

looks like a diatom bloom to me, tank is a little young though

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Diatoms for sure. Cyano is more hair-like, forming a "mat", and usually, but not always, like a deep purple color. If you want to see the difference between the two, come on over and take a look at my tank ;)... :angry:

10. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Hmmm... I'll take your word for it!! :cheesy:

11. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

12-18 months for PC lights is much too long imo. My general rule is 8 months for PC lights and 12 for T5's.

12. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have the same stuff in my 220. Its also in my live rock? I have 6 powerheads and am trying to keep a good current over the sand and rock but it keeps spreading? I also use ro water? Is there any other solutions?