Cyano treatment powder tested

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Yuri Kapustin, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

ive used it before, it works a very well. just remember to do a water change after it works its magic because all the nutrients the bacteria stored are released.

i think its made by boyd, i think my package said skimmer was to be turned off. because it goes crazy when you turn it back on

edit: the product i was thinking of was chemiclean.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

first of all, i didn't even bash the product, i'm sure most experienced reefers will tell you to think twice before using any chemicals to fix any kind of marine problems in your aquarium.. it's a short term fix and it's for people who are more impatient than others in fixing their problems.. don't put words in my mouth and you are suppose to leave the skimmer off.. do you know what the skimmer does? it skims out the chemical product which counters what you're really trying to do. and did i say the pollution was from the bubbling specifically? his tank was cloudy and foggy at the top where the water level is..
    what are you? a sales for this product? if you can't take any criticism for products then why are you even replying to this thread? it was a discussion yuri and i were having, thanks
    when you don't even know much abuot the product or how to use it, i don't think you should be giving any advice as it may turn out to be a bad advice for someone who takes your advice
    god i very much dislike people like you who pretend to know so much yet you really know nothing

4. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

hence what i said here, instead of jumping to conclusions, read the thread throughly before you comment and stick your nose into something, thanks

1 person likes this.
  5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Red slime remover is simple ?? on the spelling of this medicine eureathomyrcian a simple antibiotic , The what hazing is from a bacterial imbalance and die off .
    The gray from the carbon is because you did not rinse the carbon well enough , Now all this having been said the bottom Ines is it will do no harm . As with any antibiotic use for disease I use it as needed the yellowing is simply a reactor or the sulfur used in the powder as a binder or filler ,.

Clean some carbon and start to run that and again any antibiotic will cause a skimmer to go cray when its put back on line after any antibiotic usage. Carbon and the skimmer will clean it up and it may take a few days or a week for the tanks bacteria to reestablish to proper levels ..

1 person likes this.
  6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If your brothers tank is that stratified and cyan over took the very bottom then the tank lacks internal circulation , Cyano is not a alga its an anaerobic bacterium and the red covering is simple a cocoon the bacteria builds to keep it safer from oxygenated water ,, So there was some need or food source for the bacteria to get started and then it just turns the tank into a incubated petri dish culture.

So he may want to look into cooler temps less food setteling out and more water circulation.. My fuge is covered in the stuff But I dribble about 20gal per Hr through the 20 gal tank and I heat that to 80 or 82F my main tank is totaly free of it but I have over 6,000 to 7,000 gph flowing around in that..

1 person likes this.
  7. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have used a red slime remover made by Chemiclean. And it works very well. It comes with a very small measuring spoon, and you add one of those per 10 gal, do a water change when its done, and boom your ready to go.

8. Click Here!

9. Zzippper

Zzippper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Alright, there are several points that I will address. First is which product we are discussing:

This is a quote from Yuri's original post. Let's not confuse this with Boyd Chemiclean - which is an entirely different product made for the same purpose.

Yuri - I was only referring to the instructions on the box (see picture below). Your comments above are very interesting though. I've used it twice before successfully following the instructions on the box. Curious as to where you found this other methodology? If others have experienced better results using this method with this product, I may try it should I have the need in the future.

Actually, Tangster, it's not erythomycin. It says so right on the box. (see picture below)

Moving on...

Oh, really? Not according the to instructions on the box...

[​IMG]
    (sorry for the bad quality scan)

Don't condescend to me. I know what I am talking about and I pay attention to details - like making sure I am talking about the correct product and checking the instructions (as shown in the picture above). I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I am a educated person and fully understand what a skimmer is and does and how it does it.

<sarcasm> Oh no! You got me! You're right - I make my living and support my family by trolling message boards defending / selling cyano bacteria treatments.</sarcasm> Get real. Don't try to dismiss me simply by muddying the waters and suggesting I have a vested interest. Pretty lame.

Funny - I was thinking the exact same thing about you when I read your 'pollution' posts. You don't exactly come across as an authority what with your poor grammer & punctuation and talking about second hand experiences with the wrong product on your brother's tank.

Z

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

We're discussing red slime remover, not politics, so there's no need for everyone to get so worked up. I suggest that everyone take it down a notch. It's just a hobby after all.

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

I have to completely agree, seem like the mood on 3reef has been stale at best... Maybe people are just waiting for winter to end? I think everybody needs to take a breather and relax in front of their tank, or take a look at this very happy dog taking a stroll by it's owners hips, does this count as walking your dog?

[​IMG]

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator