Cyano treatment powder tested

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Yuri Kapustin, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

the water in my brother's tank is well polluted.. the water at the top is very cloudy and just looks very pollluted.. the corals, fish and inverts are perfectly fine though.. so i guess that's totally up to you.. i ratehr have some algae in my tank than for my water to look unclean..

2. Click Here!

3. m_hsiao

bubbles are gone but water is just real polluted

4. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

Update:
    The protien skimmer kicked in and started ejecting a normal stream of water. The large amount of bubbles only lasted for a short while. The cyano is still completely gone and the inverts, corals, and fish are completely fine.

The increased flow over the substrate has helped a lot incirculating the sand.

Overall:
    No algae outbreak, no stress, no side effects, and the skimmer is working just fine now. I actually turned off my skimmer for a while and then when I started it up it was fine. I think this stuff was pretty good. Now I need to find out why I had such a bad cyano outbreak out of no where and do things to avoid it again...

1 person likes this.
  5. Yuri Kapustin

To comment on this, my water looked polluted on the top in the beginning also. This is because you are not supposed to use any filtration, skimming, or current for at least 20 minutes. Then, turn on the filter, and pumps, then after a while, use your skimmer. Then do 20% water change. This is the second time Ive been around using this stuff. Im 2/2 for a success story. So hopefully it stays that way....

6. m_hsiao

yeah well maybe you just did ab etter job, i was not there to monitor anything he was doing. but to think there are going to be no side effects what soever is very hopeful, obviously i hope it stays that way and everything stays perfectly fine.. then i can maybe use it for my tank too since i have a little bit on my sandbed :p

7. Yuri Kapustin

Im sure a lot of things can determine the success of a chemical treatment. Water parameters, other problems or outbreaks in the tank...

Feel free to use this thread and update not only me but 3reef on your brother's treatment using this product. Im hopeful that this might be a good one.

8. Click Here!

9. m_hsiao

any updates yuri?
    i have some algae problems, red slime on my sandbed and i'm thinking of applying it
    update me please, thanks

10. Yuri Kapustin

No cyano, no red slime, and no side effects so far. Im soo happy with the treatment. None of it has come back. Im starting to think that the cause had to do with my ph level which ended up being the only thing out of whack. Also my lighting and feeding habits were a little intense a while ago. Nothing to complain about now. Just make sure that if you decide to do it, pm me and Ill tell you what i did step by step...

Let me know....

11. Zzippper

Zzippper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ummm - you're supposed to leave the skimmer on during treatment and the bubbles are perfectly normal. They dissappear within 6-12 hours. They don't harm anything - fish, corals or inverts.

Since when have bubbles = pollution?

Just because you don't understand what is happening doesn't give you free license to bash the product. ::)

Z

12. Yuri Kapustin

Thats interesting, Ive heard better success stories with the skimmer off for 20 minutes. Reason being is that for about 20-30 minutes, you are suppoed to let the solution completely dillute into the water and settle throughout the substrate. You are supposed to do this with NO current. After 20 mins, you can start things up again...

In regards to him bashing the product, he wasnt. Many people are skeptical of chemical fixs...as I am...and rightfully so. Chemical fixes dont create permanent solutions and often sidetrack another parameter in the water. He is considering using the same treatment that I did and is interested in how my success is going.

Thank you for your input. Did you use this same product while the skimmer was working and had success??