Cyano Overload and Flatworm Outbreak

Discussion in 'Algae' started by hannanReef, May 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Flatworm Exit works well to kill flatworms once they are in your tank. But, to help prevent a future infestation of flatworms, I dip all my new corals in an iodine bath like Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure before introducing them into my tank. Understandably I get a bit paranoid about introducing things like flatworms into my display tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

in terms of the cyano I would have to agree that chemiclean may get rid of it initially but it doesn't always stop it from coming back. Lots think of it like a band-aid but it doesn't help you understand the source of why you had the outbreak.

I had a little outbreak in my new tank and adding a good CUC stopped it from getting overly bad. I also use RO/DI exclusively and run Chemi Pure Elite in my sump for PO4. Make sure your lights are not really old & make sure there aren't too many dead spots in the tank where it can grow. As others mentioned, overfeeding can raise your NA levels which the cyano can also feed off of. It's feeding of some nutrient in the tank so figuring out what that is, will help you get past it permanently.

4. haugcm2

haugcm2 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just wanted to put in my two cents about getting rid of it initially..

I want to give praise to Micosidol "No red algea" by Columbo. It worked amazing. I dosed it in my sump so my pump could grind it up and spit it into the tank, and let it work for 3 days, and all of my cyano was gone, and my infestation was HORRIBLE. I then ran my carbon/gfo reactor to get rid of the treatment, and haven't had a problem since.

I do agree with the idea that it needs to be prevented with not overfeeding, ect. I just really wanted to give a plug for Micosidol for how wonderful it worked, incase anyone else needs it. :)