Cut center brace and replace it with glass?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Urban_s, Apr 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I just got a 250watt ice cap ballast reflector and bulb from a friend of mine for $100. Right now I am running 3 VHO's. I wanted to just put this one bulb over the middle of the tank. I will just be having softies so it should be enought light. But I have the evil center brace from aga. I know that you dont want to just remove it, but what about cutting it and replaceing it with a pice of glass or plexi?

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I see no issues with that except it may be hard to get that strong of a piece of glass or plexi to hold it. Unless you have it wrap around the top slightly. I believe the center brace is also supported by the rest of the trim which holds it together.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you mount the lamp at a proper height then the brace will be no problem.. You will still need the VHO of actanics What K is th M/H lamp ?

5. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Its a 14k. I was thinking of just cutting most of the brace out then overlaping a few inches and using weldon to melt the two together, and use 1/4'' plexi.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Why ? If you mount the lamp at the proper height the shadow will be so slight you'll not notice it if thats the reason for the brace cutting .. My center lamp is just over a 24x20 section of salt covered 1/2 inch glass and it still works the corals are happy.. If its not broke don't over think it..:) But thats your call. But if you feel you must I deicribed to some one last week how to replace a centerbrace with a strip of acrylic and uning 4 1/4 pan head S.S screws and nuts.