CustomSeaLife PC/Moonlight

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by verbal, Nov 25, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

I got the CSL 4x65W PC/moonlite about a week ago. It's built really nicely (very sturdy, easy to assemble, sleek design). The light looks great in the tank, a nice balance between the daylight and actinic spectrums. The fan is a little noisy, but easily tolerable. The moonlights, while whiter than most, shimmer beautifully. There is however no easy way to get to the moonlights for maintenance that I could find in the instructions. I'd expect they'd have a long life, but who knows. Also, I'm just starting my cycle, so it will be a while before I can judge what really matters - how well things grow under these lights.

2. Click Here!

3. aseidman00

aseidman00 Astrea Snail

are the moonlights LED's ? If so I hear that they have a 50,000 hour life expectancy...

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Thanks for the review. Keep us posted, pictures too, on your tank's progress!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah, I'd like to see pics too, I think this is the same light Omar has.

6. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Yeah, the moonlights are LEDs. In my 48" fixture, there are four moonlights. Interestingly, one is a bit brighter than the others. I stuck at work all day today, so I'll try to get some pics up on Wednesday. And yes, OmarD has this one, too.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. 8)

(Take some pics of the awesome standpipe mod of yours in action too! ;) )

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Yes...same light system as mine...

Having had nothing else to compare it with, am very happy with way it both works and looks. ("looks" important, as tank is prominent feature in living room now).

Only concerns have had so far...not enough output for "tridacna" - re: earlier "clam saga" - and difficulty in determining/adjusting light requirements for different species.

For example...am certain that it is this particular light & combination of "bulbs" that have made it impossible to keep two different "colt" corals alive. Both healthy specimens before tank introduction...but languishing and dying off in fairly short order. - as my water parameters in spec...I have only the lights to blame for quick demise of this supposedly "hardy" critter.

Also as my tank is a 55 gal and fairly narrow, there is no possibility of adding additional lighting..(that will happen in couple of years from now with tank "upgrade" :) )

Have decided this is my "learning tank" - only took me 50+ years to get this far, so can wait a couple of more to put together the next one - which I suspect most here always have under some degree of "planning"

Anyway..this is a great product for those of us just learning our way into the great mysteries of "Reef Keeping."

Enjoy,

OmarD

[​IMG]

10. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

I too was worried re: wattage. I've got a 72 gallon, and the output from this lamp is just over 3 watts per gallon. I like soft corals most, so I think that should be adequate as long as I position them well in the tank. I do wish however, that it could take 95W bulbs (maybe a retrofit some day?). Also, the bowfront shape allows me to "sneak" a MH in front of this ballast if I need to in the future.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Did you get some pictures yet?