Curing Pukani Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by flynhawaiianz28, Apr 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

was the rock cured or uncured? If it didn't smell horrible I would assume it was cured but then you said it came straight from the ocean. I would put it in a bucket and cycle it. It most likely contains a ton of beneficial bacteria that I would think you'd want to keep. You can water change the dead organics out of the water. Just my .02.

2. Click Here!

3. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks WT! Been quite helpful! @Oldfishkeeper, the rock was cured for sure and didn't smell terrible but smelled kind of musty since it was shipped in wet newspaper and a closed box but just has all those dead organics now from dying during the shipping. I even saw a half dollar sized starfish that died and was decaying in one of the boxes I was going through.

4. oldfishkeeper

it just seems like a waste to clean it so well that you lose the beneficial bacteria in it.

edit: sounds like you're not going to clean it too thoroughly :) nevermind

I would let it cycle in a bucket with heater and powerhead and add in some beneficial bacteria to move it along - that's what I would do - and then when you think most of the dead matter has been removed (through water changes) - I'd put it in the tank.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to ^^^

If you clean it with freshwater or chemicals, you will kill the life that it does have left.

6. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yeah earlier today I took a toothbrush and cleaned off what dead matter I could find and I took the pieces out of the bucket and then took each individual piece and shook it around in the saltwater in the bucket for a little to remove the debris and then placed it to the side while I did the other rocks. I did a water change, added the rock back in with the powerhead and heater, threw in some Microbacter7 and called it a day for now until the next water change. This rock looks so nice (I took it outside when I was splashing all the water around to get the debris out) and it has some real nice coloring in the sunlight. By far the nicest rock I have owned and put in any of my tanks yet. Hopefully the way I did this has left some beneficial bacteria in and on the rocks :)

7. oldfishkeeper