cured vs. uncured

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by evojoe67, Apr 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

can someone explain the difference between cured and uncured live rock? was buying cured since starting my tank, but went to a different lfs, and saw some really nice rock.i did'nt buy it because it said it was uncured.thanks

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Live rock that is cured is basically rock that has sat around for a period of time in a tank with powerhead and filtration to prepare it for a tank after all the die off that often is associated with collecting, shipping and handling over a period of time.
    Normally more expensive but you don't have the problem of adding dead and decaying organisms into your tank causing a potentially dangerous cycle.
    Uncured rock is just that...uncured where dead and decaying organisms are still on or in the rock, giving a putrid and sulfur smelling aroma. Time has not been given to removing and cleaning off the dead matter.
    That is the difference in a nut shell!

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Save yourself some money that could be better spent elsewhere and use dry dead rock and let it come alive in the tank.

5. Eli_The_Eel

Eli_The_Eel Fire Worm

Would putting uncured rock in a 10g tank with a powerhead for a week or so cure it?

6. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

thanks for the help, guys. any suggestion on the type of dry dead rock? does it have to be a certain type?
    i've heard some types of rock add unwanted chemicals to the water.

7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I hear 3 weeks is the thing to do... just what I heard. A heater would be a good thing too;)

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

or ' like you might do as i got lucky my self the "best" option and least amount of time to cycle your tank is to get live rock from a taredown tank ( some ones whos moving or wanting to get rid of there set up )
    I got lucky and found one with like an initial 100 pnds of it' , it was some nice stuff with purple coraline all over it ' and 'no unwanted stuff.

but that requires you to keep your eyes open and ready to move quickly ' it's rarely is availible.

and uncured "raw" live rock' is some nasty decaying stuff' ( you can put your nose to it' and gauge it progress in the LFS tanks ) after a few times of looking and smelling ' you'll know exactly to what degree or cycle time/stage it's at.