Cured rock in new tank

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by VT rules, Mar 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

Can I put 70 lbs of tank established cured rock into my brand new (running for 3 days) 55 gallon tank without causing any problems for the tank or the rock?
    If I do, will I still need the shrimp?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It shouldn't cause you any problems. You'll have a little die off from the rock when you transfer it but not enough to start a cycle.

4. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

But do I need a cycle since it is a new tank? If no cycle needed, when can I start adding livestock?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You do need to let the tank cycle but the live rock won't have enough die off to start the cycle. You'll need to either add a fish or a raw piece of shrimp to get the cycle started. You shouldn't add livestock until your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels rise then fall to "0".

6. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

I'm still learning so I may be confused but isn't the purpose of the cycle to create the bacteria that is already found on the live rock and in the live sand? I added around 60# of LR and a good sized scoop of live sand from a tank that was running for around 2 years.

7. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry I missed this post. Creating the proper types and amounts of bacteria is one purpose of the cycle, yes. I have never heard of "fresh" live rock and/or live sand having enough bacteria in it to sustain life right away. There is no such thing as an instant tank even when using rock and such from a mature system. Bacteria also needs to build on your glass, equipment and everything else in the tank. In order to have this happen, you need to add something to the tank that will cause an ammonia spike which will start the cycle and the biological process continues from there until you have enough bacteria in the tank to support that ammonia producing organism, be it the bacteria that dies during transport of the live rock that you've added to your tank, addition of a raw shrimp or a fish. Once the bigger, initial cycle is over, you would then add another animal. As a result, more bacteria will grow to support the additional bioload...and so on and so on :)