critters, critters, and more critters

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by karlas, Feb 28, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i was just wondering if a tank could have to many critters. i know everybody wants em and loves haven em. i know you cant have to many pods because the fish eat them but what about other stuff? if you look at the pics ive got dusters all over the place glass, rock, sand. sponges are all over the place also i have to clean my emporer and scrape the sponges out from time to time because they clog it up. and now an unlimited supply of spagetti worms ive noticed this with my engineer gobies they dig up a spot and i have tubes upon tubes sticking up. also i knew i had them but the bristle worms and peanut worms are coming more noticable now im seeing peanut worms during the day with the light on where before i only saw them at night with the light.

im not complaing at all because i waited for everything to take off well but its like a critter explosion. has anybody else had one of these.
    i cant get a pic because its up underneath the rock but i noticed a white sponge and its huge kinda neat its probaly about 8" long and it twist as it goes up the rock

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I had a feather duster explosion, but never a worm explosion. That would freak me out too! :eek:

4. Guest

Guest Guest

i had a snail outbreak n i freaked out
    ive got stacks of critters in my tank, an its only small
    more worms than u can poke a stick at, some decent sized ones to
    an some sort of weird browny green algae, i need a goby to get rid of it, its all on the bottom

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Just so no one freaks out, I once had a bristleworm explosion, and that freaked me out.  It's been a while back (a few years) but it was while I was cycling the tank, I didn't have lights on it -- just sand, live rock, and a powerhead or two ( I think this was a 125g).  I was using the dead shrimp method, so I had the door closed.  It really stank in the room with the tank.

I went in with a flashlight to check on things.  I keep the temp up around 80-82F during a cycle (just seems to run faster for me).  I focused the flashlight on the thermometer, and man was I surprised!  The tank was absolutely FULL of tiny, swimming worms.  It woudn't have freaked me so much, but they were thick, like you could barely see through the tank, and they were from one end of the tank to the other.  I called a friend in to check it out (and to make sure I wasn't crazy), and he saw them too.  It was a full blown, bristleworm bloom.

The next day, I came into the room expecting to see a tank full of worms again, and they were gone.  Well, they weren't gone, they were in the sand and the rocks where they were supposed to be.  I never did see an inordinate amount of brisleworms in that tank

Along with several other fish, I kept a Halichoeres iridis, a Radiant Wrasse in the tank:
    [​IMG]

And a good sized Halichoeres chrysus, Canary Wrasse:
    [​IMG]

They took care of any surplus bristleworms that I had.  But, I will never forget the sight of that tank full of baby bristleworms.  Yuk!!! [smiley=freak3.gif]