Creating rockscapes using Hydraulic Cement

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by BTowned, Mar 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

I don't know what you guys are talking about it burning your skin, because it doesn't. Never used gloves to apply it, just scoop it up and use my fingers to push it into the crevices. Ive used this before, and know guys who have used it in nice large sps tanks with colonies in them. Currently my tank has it on most of the rock, I used half a container to build up the rock.
    Ive used it to build this aquascape
    [​IMG]
    And this one
    [​IMG]
    and this one
    [​IMG]
    and even this nano
    [​IMG]
    once you place matting corals over the seams, you can even see them after a few months
    [​IMG]

I think if it were toxic those corals would have died, in the nano especially, since I didn't even run carbon in that tank.
    [​IMG]

I will say that I have used this in the tank right after it set, but you can be on the safe side and soak it in ro/di for week or longer. It does have silicates in the material, but I haven't noticed any outbreak of algae after introducing it to a tank. Use at your own discretion, I have used the sakrete stuff only because it is available close by.
    another tank using all dead rock and sakrete hydraulic cement to build the structure
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This is a cool idea, BTowned. I like all those scapes. :) I will most likely use the cement on my rocks too.

4. smoyer

smoyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I never thought about using and I been using it in my basement..cool idea.....Oh and they use Calcium to make cement harden faster.