Crazy Toadstool!!!!!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by HayNZ, Jan 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HayNZ

HayNZ Astrea Snail

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to reefing and got myself a red sea max 250 already set up and stocked.

Everthing is going pretty good, no disasters thano fully. I do however have a toadstool which just keeps getting bigger. It is magnificent but it's starting to take over the tank and I wondered if there was anything I could do as I want to start adoing more live rock and coral at some point.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks from NZ :)

rogerstammy likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. HayNZ

HayNZ Astrea Snail

The tank

Attached Files:

rogerstammy likes this.
  4. HayNZ

HayNZ Astrea Snail

Side view

Attached Files:

SkyFire likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Unfortunately, your only options are to frag it (and maybe sell some pieces), or rehome it altogether.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's beautiful. That is the price you pay for success, large healthy corals.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  7. HayNZ

HayNZ Astrea Snail

I don't think Brutus and Caesar (my clowns) would be to happy if I were to re home the coral, I might just have to re think my layout plan for the tank :)

Thanks everyone :)

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'd take it off your hands but with you living in new zealand and all...

I bet if you relocated to another tank, your clowns would just move to your frogspawn or something similar.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

IMO, you should frag it. It's only going to get bigger and bigger. Now, if that's what you want and you're rearranging your rocks for that. Then I will take my frag comment back! haha

But it's going to get bigger, like Coralline said, the price you pay for healthy coral!

Mr. Bill likes this.
  11. HayNZ

HayNZ Astrea Snail

OK I have watched a few videos on fraging but am yet to try my hand at it, any advice on this or good websites I can check out?

My cousin has a small business cleaning and maintaining commercial tanks so I may see if she will supervise when I do my first one :)

Don't get me wrong this piece of coral is SPECTACULAR its just incredibly large :)

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I've fragged my devil's hand leather a dozen times. Just be sure to have a sharp knife, exacto with a good razor blade is a good style. Start cutting and try to cut in one long cut. I would watch some more youtube videos. That's what I did when I first fragged my leather. With the toadstool it looks like you want to cut all the way down his stalk. Then I would place him near some rocks that you want it to attach to. Super glue won't work, they will slime it off. I've heard of a loose rubber band around the frag and the rock to get the frag to attach to the rock. I've had luck putting them in my sump with rubble rock and then they attach to a small piece I can snag outta there.

Speaking of this, I'm going to need to frag my guy again. He get's big and falls against the glass, so I cut him back and then he grows back.

Good luck, leathers are great to frag! Very forgiving IME!

rogerstammy and Mr. Bill like this.