CRAZY ICH INFESTATION!!! I think.....

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Jagerblunt, Aug 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jagerblunt

Jagerblunt Astrea Snail

Well I recently purchased a Yellow tang from a pretty reputable LFS, though I acclimated him I did not QT it... he and all the other fish in the store looked good... But sure enough my tank is completely riddled with Ich, white spots on everyone of my fish and tons of them.... I want to do the hyposalinity method but I want to know since I will be doing this in my DT since I don't have a tank big enough for all my fish, I only have one big enough for my inverts, (shrimp, crabs, urchin and a couple of frags).. I want to know If it will kill my live rock's beneficial bacteria as well I've heard mixed things on this and need to know

I posted pics to just to make sure it is for sure Ich since I'm kinda new to this and sorry one of them is pretty blurry I told him to sit still but I think the ich has affected there hearing as well.. lol

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I would say ick.
    What else is in the tank ?
    How old is the tank ? Do u have any treatments ? Uv lights etc ?

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

how old is the tank, and what are your water parameters? I see some hair algae on your rocks, and the walls of the glass look really clean. Is your tank fully cycled yet? Just wondering if there is a larger problem, and the ich is a symptom of that?

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

the tank looks really young based on the color of the rock and cleanliness of the back glass. If thats the case the ich outbreak was probably due to high ammonia or nitrite stressing them out.

6. Jagerblunt

Jagerblunt Astrea Snail

all my parameters are in check 0-NH3/4 0-NO2/3 0.5-PO3/4.... I had a little bit of a PO3/4 issue, thats where the algae came from and is now under control. Its a new fully cycled 90gRR, I have no treatment options just a skimmer, a heater and 2 jebao wp25s.
    No UV and can't use copper cause I want corals this started about a week after I got my yellow tang so I'm blaming it on him cause of there reputation

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

tangs are very susceptible to ich more than other fish IMO, this said if you have a healthy system you can live with ich in your tank and as long as your fish are happy and healthy their immune system will fight it off naturally (as is the case in my tank.) now...if the tang got ich i can be due to several reason, first being the fact its in a new environment and is there fore a little stressed. if however it does not have adequate swimming space/diet you will see this outbreak occur over and over again.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Too many fish, too quickly in too young a tank. Marine ich exacerbated by new tank syndrome. Unfortunately you will probably loose a fish or two it looks like a pretty bad bout Marine Ich. Fully cycled is an inaccurate term, biological filters evolve with each new addition and with each change in stocking.

No one can give you an absolute answer on exactly how much die off you can expect from going hypo. I do believe you can expect to see some die off, at least be prepared for it.

You need to hit a target of 1.008 and expect to keep that way for 8 weeks. You will have to very slowly raise the SG after treatment.

There are many good threads on conservative treatment in the Tropical Fish Disease section.

Good luck

10. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Sad but true, coraline put it as frankly as possible, drop the salt and cross your fingers.

Good luck our friend.