Crazy cheap dry base rock!!!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by texanjordan, Nov 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, ive been scouring the internet looking for some base rock for the saltwater aquarium that I will be setting up, and i've been coming across many places like marcos rocks and bulk reef supply, but in the end I would still end up paying like 150.00 for 40 pounds. So I start thinking, and I say to myself, why not try a quarry in town? I live in Corpus Christi Texas, so I called a Landscape Supply Company/ Quarry in San Antonio Texas, and asked if they sell Lace Rock. Sure enough they do, not only do they sell Lace Rock, but they also supply Lace Rock as Dry Base Rock to LFS in the whole area who turn around and sell it for 2-3 dollars a pound! But the best part of this whole thing is when i asked the price........ 50 CENTS A POUND! YOU HEARD ME CORRECTLY 50 CENTS A POUND. I will be buying about 60 pounds worth of rock next time I visit home and paying a scant 30 dollars. So if you live near San Antonio, Texas and need Dry Base Rock, make the short drive to Keller Building Materials. They even have a website!

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

4. CoralCrazy

CoralCrazy Spaghetti Worm

I am actually in the process of making my own agrocrete, its fun and the kids enjoy doing it with me. Only thing that sucks is the amount of time to get it fully cured.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

If this is true, I am going to buy a ton of it.. I am from san antonio and will be there christmas.. Man what a heck of a deal although I want to see it in person first..

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That is awesome. I wonder if it's common for those companies to sell it nation-wide.

7. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

8. Click Here!

9. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

ok bama, leave a little for me ;) all i want is about 70 pounds! From what they said over the phone, they have a lot! They supply all the LFS in the area.

10. CompulsiveAqua

CompulsiveAqua Astrea Snail

Very nice find! I thought I had it good with .79 pd here in Cleveland at the local LFS (don't know if I can say the name)...It is sorta like tufa, it is mined from the ground and can be put directly into your tank. Cured and no phosphate.
    pics 002.jpg
    That is a big chunk of it in my refuge/2nd DT. It's been in there for about a week, no parameter changes...waiting to see how long it will take for the coralline to grow, for any of you near Cleveland, write back.

11. wigginsreef

wigginsreef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

They sell it here in Jacksonville at Stone plus for anyone in the area, but it costs $1.20/lb. Also note that they usually have two giant steel wire bins of the stuff, one on the ground and the other up on a rack just above it. The one on the ground is generally pretty well picked over, but the guys at the store will grab the other stack with a tow motor and drop it for you if you ask!

12. Danhodl

Danhodl Flamingo Tongue

this sounds sweet, Amanda and i still need about 70 lb's for the 100g, ill be calling the local rock places here in nacogdoches tommorow...