Crazy algae growth due to lighting ?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by yojen, Nov 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yojen

yojen Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

He did not give me any specifics other than the lack of calcium and that my PH was a little low. I have soft corals only so I didn't think that could be a problem.

YJ

2. Click Here!

3. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Something doesn't sound right here... Do you use a TDS meter to test your RO/DI water? If so what does it read? And whens the last time your filters were replaced? What kind of test kits did they use at your LFS? I have learned recently how inaccurate test kits can be... Algae cannot grow without phosphates/nitrates. So if you have algae growth then you have these nutrients must coming from somewhere.. Just like we can only live a few days without water. Heres a short description..

Phosphate is the molecule that is involved in pretty much every energetic process in almost every organism. Adenosine triphosphate is the molecule in which most energy is stored, and commonly referred to as the energy "currency" of biological systems. Although plants do use light to synthesize this vital molecule, they simply cannot create it without phosphate present. Land plants get phosphate from the soil through their roots. Nitrate is also a major nutrient for all plants, they use this to produce important molecules such as amino acids.

Anyway, you may want to pick up some good test kits of your own. I have a little bit of algae growth right now too. I have had T5's (ATI blue plus, purple plus, and aquablue special) for over a year, but this problem started about a month ago. In my tank, there has been no relationship between algae and T5's. My skimmer broke and I didn't have one for like a month. LED moonlights have actually had an effect as well, I had started leaving them on all night... Ugh. I just started running GFO, feeding less, and lighting less and it seems to be helping. Try some macroalgae like chaeto if you have a sump. It will compete with the bad algae. Goodluck!! Hope this helped!

4. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

I agree with what has been said previously. Nutrients are what cause algae. A spike in one nutrient or the other can cause an outbreak to even an established tank. My only advice would be to start with one thing (like your RO/DI) then move to the next till you remove the problem.

5. yojen

Sorry for the late reply. That was very informative and I'll try to follow it. I got a question, can I put chaeto in my skimmer ? the CPR Aero force has two compartments, one for incoming water where it has the micro bubbles and the other side supposed to be the processed water back to the tank. Is it a good idea to put chaeto in there so it can fight the nutrients with algae ?

Also. where do I get chaeto ?

YJ

6. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I wouldn't put chaeto in a skimmer. It grows so fast and you would be taking apart your skimmer every week. I would put it in a sump/fuge. Chaeto will help your problem. You may be able to get it at a lfs, or from someone nearby (maybe craigslist).

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

honestly IMO cheato doesn't work to lower nutrients unless you have a large enough area of cheato. than you see a difference. other wise its mainly a place for pods to grow.

i do believe also that some lights do grow algae better than others , but as stated it can't grow it alone it needs the nutrients. i switched halide bulb brands and seen a huge algae out break. it made me check readings and found my phosphates were pretty high. (0.50) started running gfo in a reactor with carbon and it made a world of difference. had been running it in a high flow area before. i have learned thats a waste of money, your not really getting the true benefits from neither carbon or gfo in a high flow area, reactors do make a world of difference. within a week the algae out break was disappearing, and i was back to a clean tank. the gfo took the phosphates that were apparently feeding the algae and helping it to grow.

tank is clean again but this is what i was dealing with photo below.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

I actually had this issue as well when i had my nano and it DID happen as soon as i replaced my lights.. with that being said im not saying other things dont play a roll in having algae. I had the tank tested and tested everything was perfect! so i do believe its from the lights. I would cut the time your leaving your lights on by at least a few hours.. You gotta realize you have been using these cheap lights for some time and now you have decent lights your gonna get some growth. Also i would recomend cutting it back a little if you have corals as well. Look at it like this. With your old lights lets compare that to living up north.. then within a few min dropping you outside down in florida in the middle of summer.. Not sure really the best way to put it but kinda let your tank get used to the change with your light range becuase its going to be way dif. then your old lights and your gonna get all kinds of stuff going on

10. yojen

I was considering a GFO reactor but because I do not have a sump, I was not sure where to put it. I got a few questions and hope someone can answer.

Can I put the GFO reactor under the tank and run the tubes to the top of the tank ?
    I am trying to find a way to feed the input and output of water on existing equipment. Can this be done ?

Does a GFO Reactor make a lot of noise ?

YJ

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

the two little fishes reactor will hook on to the back of your tank. the pump that feeds it will be in your tank. most likely a maxi jet 1200. as far as noise the reactor doesn't make any noise. any noise would come from the pump in the tank, so look for pumps that run quiet. i like sicce pumps. last i looked the TLF reactor was on sale at marine depot for 33.99

12. yojen

Thanks .. i am going to try that