Crack in glass, thoughts on the fix?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Loki13, Aug 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

using it as a display tank is a big risk however i would hate to have the money spent on the tank be wasted. i think the tank could be used as a sump thats 1/3 full pretty safely. you have to see the glass as half full or a third full in this case:p

2. Click Here!

3. Loki13

Loki13 Plankton

So I am going to put it on Craigslist as a reptile tank. Give it a few months, if it doesn't sell I will try my DIY skills out.

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

If you click on the Lower pic '( and +magnify the pic ) it is as i suspected that glass will do over time.
    There is "3" cracks, one on the left advances on the left till it go's to the final side of panel.
    The Lower "crack" is doing what "glass" doe's over time , that crack is advancing even past the sealent thrue the WHOLE PANEL some one has caked on there.
    And that hole is on the bottom of the tank, which means it's "tempered" and that means it's covered with a protective film when manufactured, to keep it from just shattering all over the place.

Throw that tank in the trash/dump it will serve no one any good use.
    Lastly BITE the BULLET and buy the new tank size ya want my friend.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Loki, I didn't mean you, just basically all the echos of everyone repeating what I typed, that's all.
    Repairing that tank panel without replacing the entire piece of glass has FAIL written all over it. Water damage, insurance claim, un-insurable property due to previous water damage....so think for yourself and pay no attention to the people telling you to patch it up. They have no invested interest in you or your property.

1 person likes this.
  6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

If it was tempered it would have shattered into a million little square pieces of glass. Just the fact that its cracking and slivering like it is shows that it isn't tempered. And wildreef there isnt any protective film on tempered glass unless your talking about auto glass and that is only in front and rear glass and its snadwiched in between two panes so that if something hits it it doesn't explode in your face like tempered glass known to do.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

You didn't say it was on the bottom, the side and end panes are not cracked are they?
    At the risk of causing more conversation and problems, if it was mine I would repair it....
    I had a 90 gallon tank that had a crack that ran from one end to about the middle in the
    bottom that I repaired and used for 9 years and still would be if we had not dropped it
    when moving in to the house we live in now. the only thing you have to do special is
    support the bottom from end to end and front to back which I did by sandwiching
    two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, glued and screwed and cut to fit.

But thats just me........ so you can tell me I am crazy now......LOL

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

OK, you're crazy. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;D

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If the bottom is not tempered ? thats a chance you will have to risk drill it out and install a 1.5" or 2" bulkhead .. a 1.5 in B/H requires a 2.5" hole and a 2" B/Head needs a 3.3/4 hole . then you would be good to go But it may be tempered ? In that case just buy a new tank.

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Correct me if I am wrong but if it was tempered wouldn't it have shattered instead of cracked like it did. I know every piece of tempered glass I see that has been broken it shattered into a thousand little pieces...

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes you are totally correct I just tossed that tempered thing in as a precaution as I know someone would be all over me .. Its fine to drilled